End of Windows XP support.

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

End of Windows XP support.

Post by Not your average framer »

From the start of April, Microsoft will no longer support windows. Do I need to upgrade, or doesn't it matter?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: End of Windows XP support.

Post by IFGL »

it depends on what you use your machine for.
Moondoggy
Organisation: Picture This
Interests: Shooting, beekeeping, woodwork, carving, DIY

Post by Moondoggy »

They said that a year or so ago, but they keep sending updates. I think it's a ploy to get you to part with your cash. :xcomputer:
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

one of the areas this could affect is when your computer is connected to a network and then onto the internet

once the support ends from microsoft, my understanding is that it will leave xp computers susceptible to security breaches as the flaws in security are not being filled by microsoft

i would suggest that when the supports stops, chances are it wont make any difference to you at all

but i would say running anything mission critical from the machine would be tempting fate
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks! I really don't want to up grade, unless I really have to!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

You may find that either some of your software or hardware may not work when you upgrade. I've found that I've had to keep one XP machine to run some applications where the data is not available elsewhere or in a post XP version. You may find some old CDs will not play. Depending upon the current machine you may also have to upgrade your machine e.g. more memory and disk space. Most people land up buying a new machine with the latest version of Windows as it's the simplest way forward. But for most people used to XP they will find using Windows 8 a challenge (there are ways of making it look like Windows XP or Windows 7).