Integrated Mount Printer/Cutter

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Integrated Mount Printer/Cutter

Post by Moglet »

One of the Valiani suppliers that I spoke with a few months ago said that, in the future, one will be able to get CMC's that can print decorations onto mounts as well as cut them.

Does anyone know anything about machines of this ilk (either existing or planned)?

Also, does anyone print mount decorations on inkjet-printable board and then cut them using a CMC? If yes, are there any difficulties with print vs. cutting alignment, etc?
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

I print onto mountboard using an Epson 4800 printer and then cut them manually using an Ultimat Gold cutter.

I've found that the easiest way is to prepar a Photoshop image the size of the finished matt and surround it with a one-pixel border. I then print onto a slightly oversized board and use the border as a guide to trim it to size before cutting the window.

That way I don't have any problems with edge-to-edge printing or precise registration.

I generally use Colourmount conservation board and set the printer to a plain paper setting and get good results for lettering and other decorations.

I just wish the inkjet printer had white ink then I wouldn't be limited to printing dark on light.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
markw

Post by markw »

Wizard cover all the processes with different machines - but they don't have one machine to do all processes.

Many CMCs can use files designed in Corel Draw - the file can be saved as a PLT file for cutting - and the decorative bits printed out on a suitable printer. Getting a good register between the print and cut might well prove to be fairly tricky as the mountboard on most CMCs is held by a clamp - to get an accurate register you would have to have some way of defining the position relative to the print. This wouldn't require rocket science and I am sure it will start to appear on new machines in the near future. I would add that if you are just putting text on a mount you probably could position accurately enough with present clamp systems - you would just have to allow for machine offsets - and use a large enough board to make sure it sat square in the clamp (I have a Valiani so bear in mind most of my thoughts are based upon how this machine works).

Have you ever tried printing onto the stuff you can get that transfers onto material? Ive seen it for personalising t shirts and so on - must give it a go some time.
Paul Hardy

Post by Paul Hardy »

Exact Technology make CMC machines with interchangeable heads that can cut picture mounts, crease cardboard, drill, router, inkjet print and scan. They have knife cutters, ultrasonic cutters and laser cutters. You can punch, scribe, weld and emboss.

I only wish I could afford one.

http://www.exact-technology.com/Cutting ... mounts.htm

Paul Hardy
www.sudbury-picture-frames.co.uk
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Blimey, Paul, that's some piece of kit! Any idea of price (couldn't find any details on the website)? I have a shneaky suspicion it would be beyond my budget, too. :)

BTW, my apologies to WelshFramer and MarkW. I've only just seen your posts now. For some reason, I did not get email notification for your replies. Thanks for the hints and tips, particularly those for registration! I've got an Epson 2100 and 7600 at the moment, so I'll have to have a play-around with my existing kit.

If anyone does hear anything on the grapevine about combined cutter/printers, I would be grateful if you could let me know. I'd really like to be able to offer customers mounts with Celtic decoration, and I'd hate to go for my CMC then find out a combi version comes onto the market three months later.... :cry:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Here is a Celtic design that we use around photographs.
Works very well, and cut on the CMC.

I will be playing with our R2400 in the next couple of weeks and see how that prints on mountboard and ease of cutting on the CMC. Will keep you posted
John GCF
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

I do believe I saw a piccy of the finished product on one of the forum back posts. I thought it looked lovely, John! Would love to hear about the results of your "playtime"! :D I haven't drawn as much as a spiral since opening my gallery door to the public.

In addition to decorative borders and lettering, I do this sort of stuff:

The piece in question is dedicated to the memory of my late father, 'cause the Pictish beastie captures two of his great loves: fishing and the gee-gees! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

WOAH!!!

I love that - I'm a calligrapher - make that 'I can do Calligraphy'

Show us some lettering!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Moglet wrote: In addition to decorative borders and lettering, I do this sort of stuff:
Wow! What beautiful work you do!

PS. Did you guys know that the website "upload6.postimage" where your images are stored, always has an ad at the top that says "Meet hot women in Belmont" when I view the full size image?
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Suberb work Moglet!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Thankyou! :oops:

I'm sad that my Dad never got to see any of this. I had only just starting learning when he passed away.

Especially for you "Robo" John, here's an interpretation of an illuminated letter "R" from the Book of Kells:

Images of the Book of Kells in its entirity are now available on CD-ROM.

Edit: Make that 'DVD-ROM', and Trinity College have set up a Book of Kells website here.

osgood wrote:.... "Meet hot women in Belmont"
Count yourself lucky, Ormond. They're coming at me from Kilcolumb!! :shock:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hey Moglet, work like that should be in the mount not on it. :o

Suberb stuff! :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

My whole show exists because of my terrible handwriting, which I tried to improve by taking up calligraphy.

I try to keep quiet about it now - the odd title in an aperture that deserves more than windows!

But when I peaked with the actual italics, foundational, uncial etc and after toying with illumination as a part of that - I started looking at celtic designs - had some success - then the framing thing started making a living, then a profit - the calligraphy etc fell away, and each time I open my big gob these days and accept a calligraphy job, I really have to revise and make a shedload of 'roughs'

It also makes the hours pass far too quickly.

Very Nice 'R' s Moglet!
osgood

Post by osgood »

It's sad that your Dad didn't get to see your work, but you can rest assured that he would have been extremely impressed with your talent and application of that talent if he had been able to see it.
Moglet wrote:Make that 'DVD-ROM', and Trinity College have set up a Book of Kells website here.
Thanks for the link to that site. I love looking at that sort of exquisite workmanship and have ordered the DVD. I operate the projector in my church and look forward to being able to share some of the pages of the book with the congregation from time to time!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Roboframer wrote:.It also makes the hours pass far too quickly.
For me too! I've always found it to be so when I am doing something I truly love. Sadly, I do very little letter work by hand these days: just don't have time to practise. (Btw, I remember reading on one of your posts about how costly it is to train as a calligrapher! :shock: ) I envy you your skill, John! There's nothing to touch hand-calligraphed work.

The images above I created in Corel: it takes w-a-a-a-a-y longer to draw the forms than on paper, but it's allowing me to gradually build up a portfolio of designs that I can hopefully use for decorating mounts and cards. That way I can use more intricate designs while keeping cost down.
Roboframer wrote:I try to keep quiet about it now...
Ah don't do that! Any chance of a piccy or two?? :)

--------
Ormond, you'll enjoy the DVD. It includes a lot of background information too. There are some elements of Australian art that are similar to Celtic. I really like the fabric paintings that my customers bring in from time to time.
--------

Once again, thanks to all for your kind comments. They mean a lot to me.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
beth

Post by beth »

Beautiful work :)
prospero

Post by prospero »

Moglet. :D

Ever thought of marketing your designs as giclee prints?

No origination costs as they are already in digital format.

Sincerely, I think you would be on to a winner. :wink:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Moglet wrote: Ah don't do that! Any chance of a piccy or two?? :)
OK - but I've got nothing at home - well I have but it was done a long time ago when I was learning - and it was framed while I was learning that too!

It's only expensive to train as a calligrapher if you want to become a Fellow of the Society of Scribes & Illuminators. Plenty of courses available that will get you to a good standard.
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

prospero wrote:Ever thought of marketing your designs as giclee prints? No origination costs as they are already in digital format.
I've toyed with the idea, Prospero, but it's the old confidence thing: would people like them? I'm dead chuffed that you guys seem to! :D :oops: I sell some cards in the gallery, and I sometimes do decorated wedding candles, but it's small beer. I really appreciate your encouragement.

Question: what do you mean by "origination costs"? It's not a term I'm familiar with.

Edited to add:

Duh!!!! Means I don't have to scan or photograph them. (Boy, can I be dense at times.....) :roll:

------

Looking forward to your 'show 'n' tell' Roboframer! :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
prospero

Post by prospero »

Moglet. 8)

One good thing about the images is they are relatively small and look very 'precious'. The 'R' looks very effective on the black background. Maybe you could extract the image area and have them printed on black paper. Worth experimenting with.

I have not seen anything on the print market quite like them. People always like something different. Another plus with the letters is that folks would be tempted to collect the whole alphabet. :wink: