V Groove blades

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

V Groove blades

Post by ChrisG »

I am finding that after cutting a relatively small number of V grooves even with a new blade and the groove is no longer clean. The same blade cuts the bevel and straight cuts without problem. I imagine that V groove only uses the very tip of the blade which wears quickly?
jmdwilson
Organisation: Surrey Framers
Interests: Art, Sports

Re: V Groove blades

Post by jmdwilson »

When my machine was set up I was told you need to change the blade after every v-groove done. ie one per mount.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

What mount cutter is It. IMHO its no different to cutting all the way through and into the sacrificial piece under the mount.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Gunnar F1 Hybrid.

It's possible to 'clean' the groove with a scalpel blade but that's a bit of pain.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Does it still cut normal openings OK after cutting V grooves? If so it could be the mount board or the calibration.
yorkframing
Organisation: York Framing Studio
Interests: Photography & Astronomy

Post by yorkframing »

I cut hundreds of V-Grooves and yes you do not get many to a blade.
I am cutting black core with a white face, I was getting 12 cuts per blade but then a new batch of board arrived, slightly different from the same supplier and I now only get 6 cuts per blade.
The main issue I find is a blunt blade drags the surface of the board at the corners, when cutting all the way through, there is more board to support the surface hence why v-grooves need sharper blades.
I always cut all the v-grooves I can first, then with the same blade cut the openings, that way you do not blunt the blade doing openings in between v-grooves.

Hope this helps
Steve