TV as monitor

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

TV as monitor

Post by Trinity »

Does anyone have experience of using a tv as an extra monitor in conjunction with the computer.
I'd like a large (32) screen tv so that I can do the cmc designs on it, perhaps use it for the pricing software and watching tutorial type downloads. My thoughts are simply to pick up a 2nd hand telly
Thanks
Keith
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Re: TV as monitor

Post by JohnMcafee »

We use a cheap low-spec (720p) 32in TV as a second monitor. It is adequate for our purpose (frame visualisation) but wouldn't mind upgrading to a TV with a higher specification sometime.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
22rabbits
Organisation: myown
Interests: framing

Post by 22rabbits »

So it will work fine for normal stuff but dont use it for anything like photoshop of similar visual centered software as it wont hold a celebration.

Also, i find that montiors are cheap new and secondhand. I use a 27'' imac for editing and its really big for a computer screen (we all tend to sit close when using a computer)
prospero

Post by prospero »

I looked into this at one time and was told Tv's don't have the resolution like proper monitors. I did once hook the PC up to a 47" back-projection TV and it looked crap. :lol:
PC monitors tend to take a quantum leap in price past 27".

Having said that, I have recently downloaded MP4 files from YouTube and written them on DVDs. They look a bit middling on the PC monitor, but look amazing on the a 55" TV.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Just bought a couple of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00PRCR ... ref=plSrch

Excellent for the money.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

My primary monitor is a 32" HD Vizio flat screen. It is connected via a HDMI cable. Resolution is 1920 x 1080. I also watch over the air HD on the same monitor.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
prospero

Post by prospero »

It was only last year that I upgraded to a 27" Sammy. Shade over 200quids. Prior to that I had for many years used a 22" Mitsubishi CRT, which was a nice monitor but a huge lump.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Thanks for the replies, I'll try and get hold of a tv . I use an Eizo CG276 if I'm doing editing (only use Lightroom) and my dell at 22" is a little small unless as suggested your right up front.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
MikeSwannick
Organisation: Game of Frames
Interests: All things zombie. I also do data recovery.

Post by MikeSwannick »

I've used a 40" Sony and 32" Panasonic TV as monitors at 1920 x 1080 via HDMI during the last 5 years. One issue you may encounter when you first make the connection and fire up the computer is the desktop appearing to be a little oversized for the TV screen despite the screen resolution of the PC set to 1920 x 1080 and the TV the same. This was resolved on both my TV's with a function hidden in the TV setup menu. Both functions had obscure (and different) names possibly involving the word 'overscan' but fundamentally made the incoming signal fit the screen properly. No amount of fiddling with the graphic card properties made any difference.

I wouldn't use a TV for Photoshop work either. The clarity of the image is noticeably poorer than a reasonable monitor.

Mike.