Notebook That wont shut down

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Ian Goodman
Organisation: Ian Goodman Photography
Interests: Chinese Cooking.
Playing with my Grandchildren
Photoshop Training with Maitland U3A

Notebook That wont shut down

Post by Ian Goodman »

i have an ASUS n53 sv notebook that I had running on Windows 10 and it seemed to run OK except for a couple of actions that would not work everything was running OK these actions were important ones and I needed to access these so I did a Recovery and reinstalled Windows 7 which brought back the use of the two actions that I use in Photoshop.
Now when you click the shutdown button the PC closes down but the power light stays on ad the fans are still running on the ventilation pad and if I have an External HD it is still running.
To close down this pc if you press the power switch this notebook pc closes down.

How can I fix this?
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Notebook That wont shut down

Post by StevenG »

Hi Ian, it sounds like your power management settings need adjusting... take a look at these options in the control panel>Power Options>
Attachments
for ian.jpg
for ian.jpg (116.18 KiB) Viewed 7382 times
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Oh, sorry - didn't read your initial post correctly :oops:
prospero

Post by prospero »

There seems to be a lot of issues with win10. My dad thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the free upgrade. (Told him not to. :lol: ) Now all the images on the web appear 'overexposed' and sometimes flip to a negative. His eyesight is none too clever, but I struggle to see the pictures as they are. And it keeps logging him out, so he has to type in his password repeatedly.

I'm sticking to win7. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
baughen
Organisation: Cliff Baughen
Interests: Photography, Picture framing

Post by baughen »

It's always worth trying to clean up your system. Even when installing or upgrading to Windows 10 there are a lot of loose ends, junk and out of date drivers. You may wish to try checking your drivers are up to date (try Driver Booster) and then run some clean up utilities like Advanced SystemCare. [Preferably make a backup before trying these for the first time]. There are free versions available with a subscription for more features.
I couldn't upgrade for quite a long time as MS and AMD didn't support 3 monitors as 1 desktop but that changed at the end of last year. I had to revert back to Win 7 a couple of times but since the last upgrade to Win 10 it has been working well apart from a few minor irritations. Don't forget that the 'free upgrade' offer to most was for 1 year and probably half that time has gone.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I would do like that chap in Texas, take it out in the back yard and shoot it with gun :xcomputer:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Hard to answer this really, there's so many factors involved in the shutdown process, it could very easily be a driver as mentioned before, it could be a program that isn't unloading properly. Does it happen in safe mode? I'd reset the power management in the BIOS (if there is any). I've no doubt you'll get this resolved but it will be a trial & error procedure :)
markw

Post by markw »

I had similar on a desktop. Ended up doing a clean install. Having done a lot of googling on it the best I could find was that 10 conflicts with lots of antivirus programs, in my case Avast. I have had loads of problems with upgrades but a new computer running it is fine.