LED lighting

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
prospero

LED lighting

Post by prospero »

I have 29 fluorescent strip lights on the premises. I've been exploring the possibilities of
replacing them all with LED strip lights. From what I can make out, LED strips have come on a lot
lately and the enegry savings would be substantial.

So I start googling about.

Fact#1. You can't just slap a LED tube into an existing fluory fitting. Fair enough.

It does appear that LED tubes are a lot more straightforward - on the face of it. They don't need all the gubbins
that you find inside a std light fitting and take power directly. No flicky start. And further research revealed that
with a bit of rewiring of the light fitting they could be converted. I'm quite familiar with wiring stuff up so no probs.
Sounds good. :D

Looking on YouTube there are heaps of clips showing how to do this. Great thinks I. I won't have to buy 29 new fittings.

But looking further and the rot set in. All of the youtube clips are American. OK, electricity is the same the world over
but looking on UK websites I find this is a not-so-good idea. Vague warnings of overheating and such like.
On the clips they were replacing the end connectors with new ones which while being physically the same, are wired differently.
At least some were, others used the existing ones. No mention of these on UK sites.

So, I would like to ask the panel if anyone has any experience of this and any wisdom to impart. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Re: LED lighting

Post by chris62 »

I have bought two T8 tubes with holders from this firm mainly because they are local ish, but they have a very nice light, if you stare at them its a bit odd but i find them good.
http://www.ghlighting.co.uk/
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

29 flourescent lights! What have you got - a small factory?
The energy costs for LED is much smaller but would the savings balance the initial installation costs or how long would you be prepared to wait to see a return on your investment.
Another thing to check is the lumens output to match the existing flourescent output; although flourescents loose a large percentage of their light output over time.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I easily ave that many in my workshop as well. I have 8 x 6ft strips just in the office.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Looks like a flourecent strip light competition to me, we have closer to 60, no wonder my electric bill is 4 million pounds a month.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

yes but your in Yorksire where the sun is blotted out by the big hill :giggle:

I have 4 massive sky lights which means that I actually don't need light on in the main workshop at this time of year allowing me to save millions of pounds.

Must be a bit of yorkshire in me lol
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I am lucky enough to be beside the sea in Cornwall where the sun always shines (well that';s what we try to convince everyone!) :poolparty:

Unfortunately I spend most of my time in a cellar with 5 fluorescent tubes just dreaming of a room large enough to have more! 8)
JoeB
Organisation: Niche Frames Europe Ltd
Interests: Framing, Giclee

Post by JoeB »

We bought some 8ft from Avondale electrics in Bristol no wiring changes needed.