Adobe CS2 for free

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Adobe CS2 for free

Post by JohnMcafee »

You can download and install all of the Adobe CS2 products, including Photoshop, from their website.

You will have to set up an Adobe ID first, but it can be easily done from the link on the above page.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Adobe CS2 for free

Post by StevenG »

Cheers John

Go to the top of the class!! That's a fantastic 'deal' :) CS2 is still very capable of most things and to have it all for free... well, that's pretty neat :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We tried this today and it said it is a 7 year old unsupported product and only available to maintain an already purchased product.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

That's probably just right for me then, until I got my laptop, I was still using MS Office 2000 (which I bought new at the time) and much of my software was older than that. I got my laptop secondhand from the same computer shop that I have bought several computers from over the years. This new laptop has upgraded me to MS Office 2003 and it's a licensed to me.

It is also surprising how much faster an older program is on a newer computer. A close friend regularly upgrades both his computer and software as newer hardware, or software versoins become available, but my older software is often faster than his newer software, because my software was produced to run on less capable hardware and I'm using faster hareware than was available when the software was produced. Eventually you run into trouble with obtaining the right drivers to match the program, with the hardware in the newer computer.

I recently had a problem with my Cannon scanner, it was working on both my older Windows XP based desktop computer and my Windows 7 based laptop. As it turned out, there was a driver on the internet from Cannon which the computer loaded automatically on to the laptop, but did not actually install. Since then Cannon have decided not to support my scanner on a Windows 7 computer. You can still get the Windows XP driver, but no Windows 7 driver is now available. My brother has given me an even older, but better spec Epson scanner and Epson still provide updated drivers for just about anything which they ever made to run on all the latest operating systems. So I still use the Cannon scanner on one and the Epson scanner on the other, but it does show that eventually these thing catch up with you.

When I was born, my mother had a hard time with the pregnacy and I was born with some degree of brain injury, I never knew much about this and had little, or no awareness of this, until after my stroke about five years ago. At the time of my stroke, the hospital did not do any tests, but later when I realised that I was finding some things more difficult than before, I was given an MRI scan and they found my orginal brain injury. They knew it was nothing to do with the stroke, but It's only since the stroke that this original brain injury has had any noticable effect, but I now have short term memory problems and find it hard to spell certain words. I think this may also be why as I get older, that I find older and simpler to use software programs much easier than more sophisticated later versions. In reality, the basic functions of the program are no different, they just add a few extra function which you can still manage without.

P.S. I aready know that I am a technical dynosaur, when it comes to computers, but somewhere there must be someone who is less up to date than me. :)
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

So, did you manage to download anything then? We couldn't.

It's not a simple programme anyway, regardless of how old it is, if you want simpler, go for photoshop elements and even that's not simple.

Even "Paint" that comes with most computers, is not simple, but compared to anything photoshop it's childs' play.
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Did a quick check, CS2 is still available from the above link.

Adobe are not about to support those who have downloaded CS2 for free so make it abundantly clear that you are on your own if you are not an existing customer.

From Adobe's download page:
"Adobe strongly advises against running unsupported and outdated software. Only customers who legitimately purchased CS2 or Acrobat 7 and need to maintain their current use of these products may use the serial numbers provided during the download. "

You just click the accept box and proceed with the download. In much the same way that you would verify that you have read, understood, and agree with their terms and conditions.

I'm pretty sure that if Adobe did not want non-customers to download CS2 they would not make it this easy (at least for most of us).

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Right-ho - it's us! We read that and stopped there, will give it another go - then probably be totally bewildered anyway!
:yes:

Edit - Mrs R says she tried (and is an existing customer of adobe) - got to the end and it asked for a product code we don't have.
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Did you see the serial number on the download page?

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Probably not! (When I say "we" I really mean Mrs R, was just being a gentleman - I haven't tried it myself otherwise I'd have got it first time, of course :xcomputer: )
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Don't be too harsh on the little lady, I'm sure she was doing her best. :)

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I suppose they are giving it away on the hope that you realise it really is out of date and perhaps you should subscribe for the most upto date version for as little as a couple of lattes from Starbucks. I think I only pay about £6 a month. If you are using it commercially it's a no brainer IMHO. Plus if you are into photography you get light room as well.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It will be something along those lines - just like throwing in AR glass for free on smaller jobs - using offcuts that are bin-borderline, in hope the customer gets hooked on the hard stuff. It works.