CMC - which one do you prefer or recommend?

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Page Frames
Organisation: Page Photography & Bury Framing
Interests: Photography, Walking dogs, gliding, cooking and eating.

CMC - which one do you prefer or recommend?

Post by Page Frames »

hello,

CMC - which one do you prefer or recommend? TrueCut, Wizard, Gunnar......

I need one for bulk cutting and bespoke cutting.

Thanks
Chris
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Re: CMC - which one do you prefer or recommend?

Post by David »

I'd go for the Gunnar every time. I've had mine for ten years or so now and never regretted it. I have the F1 Hybrid, which means it can cut bevel and straight cuts, without having to change the head, it will switch automatically as required.

All the machines will cut regular mounts without any problems. There were two main reasons I went for the Gunnar, software and backup service. I found the software the easiest and for me most intuitive to use, it is excellent for multi apatures and creative designs, I have had issues with it at times usually when I'm pushing it to places it was never meant to go. As for customer service it is excellent, often enquiries can be sorted over the phone where a call out is needed a visit the following day is usual and Sarah and the team will get you up and running as quickly as possible. Make sure you check out the training and after sales service that is available.

I fall into the creative rather than volume framer and still think I made the right choice. To see what a Gunnar can do look at my website if you have any other questions please get in touch.

David.
Page Frames
Organisation: Page Photography & Bury Framing
Interests: Photography, Walking dogs, gliding, cooking and eating.

Post by Page Frames »

I have experience using the TruCut Excel, which has a double head, cutting 90 and 45 without change.
I thing the software on the Gunnar has more fuctions.
Do you use the pen tool for writing at all?

Chris
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I have the pen tool, use it mainly for titles and lettering on mounts rather than title boxes and for lines around the window. Can also do more complicated designs working on the RAF Albertross badge at the moment, recently did an outline of the RAF Tornado.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Valiani for me, we do bulk work and we do complicated designs, as can be seen from our website, we cut aircraft designs for an official supplier to the RAF Museum shop
When we upgrade our machine way back in 2012 (I think) we spent the day at the Spring Fair and took a sample file of our shapes, one make of machine just kept breaking blades, we were only pleased with the result of the Valiani
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

That’s very reassuring to hear Steve.I must say my Mat pro Ultra 150 BC seems to be a very solid well built piece of engineering and the software seems ok and intuitive. I don’t think it’s set up as well as it could be so I am not totally confident in the results it produces at the moment I am slowly getting to grips with the calibration and will probably need to get the service agent back again if I can’t sort it all myself or maybe remotely via them or Valiani direct. I am very particular that everything is set perfectly and I get the best results possible and I am confident it will do so when calibrated 100%. I think Valiani would do well to keep their manuals up to date as the software has been updated and the current manual available does not reflect changes and new features