URGENT - Source for Reasonably-Priced Disk Drives

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

Many moons ago Lacie produced a "Big Drive" with 500Gb capacity. At the time it was very expensive but I thought it would solve the problem of carting may smaller disks half way round the world several times a year. The disk drive housing was designed by Porche, a company noted for its air cooled engines.....

From the begining I was unhappy with the temperature of the case. It became too hot to touch after a short period and I always worried about premature failure. This eventually happened and I was lucky to recover my data. A search on the Internet at the time revealed I was not the only one to have problems.

So the next time I looked at external disk storage my primary concern was to find a unit that was not totally encased in aluminium but had visible air vents. I settled on Seagate.

Different capacities are available. I have used these drives for a couple of years without any problems.

In my desktop I have 4 Samsung Spinpoint SATA drives. I have used Samsung for many years and they are quiet, reliable and run cool. Having said that I do have a front fan on the case as well as a large fan on the rear. Proper Airflow through the PC case is vital and will extend the life of the internal components.
Pat
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Just about to place my order for technostuff, but I'm still a little perplexed by the external drives. :? So last question to all you techno-heads out there is: if I have an external hard drive attached to the PC, does it "look" like a regular drive (i.e. can you see the directory structure in Explorer and save files directly to it?).
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Post by Spit »

It will just install itself as a new drive, looking & behaving no different to any other.
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Brilliant! Just what I wanted to hear!!! Thankyou! :D
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

By default the drive letter assigned to your external disk is assigned 'on the fly' by your OS when you plug it in to the USB port. Usually the next available letter after the internal floppy and hard drives and external devices already attached and running such as cameras and card readers.

So the drive letter of your new external USB drive will not necessarily be the same each time it is plugged in.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I had an ext HD hooked up which was drive F. Just installed a extra int drive and now the ext one is G. :wink:

Q for techies:

I always thought it was not a good thing to install programs on a external drive. Partly because of the data transfer rate down a USB connection. But if you did have a program installed on the ext drive and later the letter for the drive got switched, wouldn't it confuse the registry or something?
Spit

Post by Spit »

Yep, that is the case - it should be used as a data only drive.

I think there is a way to reserve a drive letter, but it's been nearly 5 years since I've done any windblows work, I've forgotten how to do it........

Steve.
Spit

Post by Spit »

Steve.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

prospero wrote:I always thought it was not a good thing to install programs on a external drive. Partly because of the data transfer rate down a USB connection. But if you did have a program installed on the ext drive and later the letter for the drive got switched, wouldn't it confuse the registry or something?
Lots of software will fall over when moved to a different location to that in which it was first installed.

However, well behaved applications (such as, for example, EstLite and Pre-View) will run faultlessly from any location.
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

While its true that the external drive will be assigned the next available drive letter in most installations it will remain consistant.

The only variable is the number of external devices you have.

For example, if you have a multi card reader and a external drive then it can be a lottery on which is loaded first if they are both on during boot up.

In my case at home, I have 3 internal drives, a multi card reader, 2 network drives and a external drive. I make sure they are switched on in a certain order.

The computer is turned on with the multi card reader already plugged in. C, D, E drives are internal, F, G, H, I are the card reader. J and K are mapped to the server. Once the machine is booted I turn on the external drive which I know will be L. Once you have a routine its easy to predict.
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.