whats better for networking?

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Grahame Case

whats better for networking?

Post by Grahame Case »

i've got a tough choice chaps and chapettes,

i have a 30m distance between my new CMC computer (with a gigabit lan card) and our network hub, now i'm wondering which is the best option - a 30m CAT5e patch cable, or a Wireless card?

keeping in mind that all our computers are networked to run estlite, and need to be pretty fast at processing data over the network connection
The Crofter
Organisation: Sutherland Arts & Crafts
Interests: Photography

Post by The Crofter »

Cable.

You cannot achieve the same data rate with a wireless solution. Having said that do you really high speed for estlite ?. It is not really doing that much in terms of processing.
Pat
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

The Crofter wrote:Cable.

You cannot achieve the same data rate with a wireless solution. Having said that do you really high speed for estlite ?. It is not really doing that much in terms of processing.
we have a slow server through the back, so any help at the front end in transmitting data to and from it quickly and efficiently would see benefits.

i had sort of decided on cable, but just wanted to verify.
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

To be honest if its just used for Estlite I don't think it would matter providing you can get a decent signal out front from the wireless card. You wireless connection would still get a 2meg link in the worst case and I doubt you would notice the difference.

As you've said, the bottleneck would be the slow server out back, wired or wireless wouldn't make much different unless you were streaming media or copying large files often.
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.
markw

Post by markw »

The pc for the cmc needs to be right next to the machine as unless they have put some more buttons on the new machine its all controlled from the keyboard - apart from the big red button to shut the thing down. I would recommend a wireless keyboard - its very handy to have the thing in your hand when cutting complicated mounts - so easy to press the space bar and halt the cut so that you can remove some wayward debris.

I am having a major reshuffle of PCs today as I have just purchased a nice shiny new Dell with a huge monitor. the pc running my cmc is fairly ancient and is begining to show its age.

This pc will be wirelessly networked - I use this workshop pc to listen to music and radio but the old pc was never really capable of running a networked copy of Estlite, hoping the more powerful pc I am replacing it with will be able to handle it. I have very thick walls to contend with - No radio signals penetrate - No Radio reception - No mobile reception. I have to put a signal booster on my wireless link to cope with the 8' of stone between it and the router.

Looking to the future it seems to me that it wont be long before Est and Preview will be directly connected to the CMC in some way - so the link might as well go in at this stage.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

thank you all for your help, it has been greatly appreciated, i ended up just getting a USB Wireless adapter-