CUSTOM FRAMER™

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

CUSTOM FRAMER™

Post by WelshFramer »

Is there anybody here who uses Custom Framer (http://www.artframer.com/ ) visualisation software?
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: CUSTOM FRAMER™

Post by Jonny2morsos »

We tried it but bought PreView. From memory it did have a few useful functions like having pre installed mouldings and mounts from Nielsen and Arqadia (amongst others) but the N American range, however, a lot were common to the ranges offered here.

Support was a slow process via email. We found PreView to be far more intuitive and John is only a phone call or email away plus lots of other users here.

At $199 it is probably reasonable value but you might wish you spent the extra I feel.

John.
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Your experience sounds like mine - except that I'm still struggling to use it. :(
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

I have been using the Custom Framer software for a couple of years now and find it fine and dandy! Initially, I had problems getting decent images of the mouldings which I was using at the time but the support guy - Nathan - was helpful and gave me a few hints and tips (although it was quite lucky that I was using and had some skills with Photoshop). Let me know if you need any help and I will do my best to assist if I can. Must say, I don't use the pricing feature of the program, just the visualisation.

Alan
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Thanks, Alan. Like you, I'm only using it for visualisation.

I'm just starting to enter mountboard and moulding samples into the program and generally that's OK. What I'm finding confusing is the complexity of databases and galleries, etc. The other problem is sorting out a sensible workflow - i.e. when a customer comes in with a piece of artwork do you set up a job for that customer or what?
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

MIke,
Yes - adding stock to the databases can be very confusing and like most things with computers, if you are not doing it on a regular basis, it is very easy to forget each step you took to get a result last time!

A couple of years ago, I got quite adept at importing details via a CSV file which I used EXCEL to produce but there is no way I could remember how to do it now let alone teach anyone! If this really is a problem for you, take an evening out with the help file and simply try things out - then write it down! (I didn't).

As for workflow, I never set up a job there and then. If the customer wants to leave his artwork, I photograph it at leisure and work from there. Sometimes, I can locate images in cyberspace (again at my leisure) and provided I have the dimensions, (I can measure the artwork there and then!), there is no problem entering the details into the program for when the customer returns.

The concept is good but having seen Pre-view at the NEC the year before last, and the way it had been set up with the overhead camera, I definitely think that Custom Framer is more than a wee bit behind!

In the past I have used the Custom Framer background feature to try and place the virtual framed artwork onto a photograph of a customer's wall to good effect - but mainly for those who I know well and who are prepared to let me take my time!

Alan
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Interesting.....

"Custom Framer" is not trademarked in either Canada nor the USA for this Canadian company per their respective Trade Mark offices and a search of each data base .
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
WelshFramer

Post by WelshFramer »

Alzibiff wrote:A couple of years ago, I got quite adept at importing details via a CSV file which I used EXCEL to produce but there is no way I could remember how to do it now let alone teach anyone! If this really is a problem for you, take an evening out with the help file and simply try things out - then write it down! (I didn't).
I did manage to create and import a csv file for all my matboards. It took a few attempts but worked in the end. As you say, though, I should have written down how I did it because I now need to import moulding details.
Alzibiff wrote:The concept is good but having seen Pre-view at the NEC the year before last, and the way it had been set up with the overhead camera, I definitely think that Custom Framer is more than a wee bit behind!
I have it working with a camera attached to the ceiling but it's not possible to preview the image before taking the shot or control the camera zoom setting. Sometimes it's easier to take the photo then import that into Custom Framer.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

My status