Picture It First!

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Picture It First!

Post by Coxby »

Has anyone had any experience with Picture It First; a software package which builds the whole frame and picture on your computer from a digital photo? Their web address is https://www.lifesaversoft.com/pif/ and are there different versions of this kind of software? Oooh! Do I get a wooden spoon for my question in Hints and Tips which has not yet received any answers? :o
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

PIF

Post by JFeig »

Wizard has a similar program. It was introduced at the Atlanta show in September.

Jerry
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
mick11

Post by mick11 »

This is another one. I use the International Photography version for framing.

http://www.artframer.com/Index.html
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

A massive download, it took about half an hour on 512 broadband, I wouldn't contemplate it with dial-up.

It has a much cleaner interface than Wizard's Integrated Framer, far fewer steps between capturing the image and final 'visualisation'. Also corner sample orientation is not critical as in Integrated Framer.

Lighting and camera settings need to be fine tuned to produce a nice bright image otherwise results can be a bit lacklustre.
mick11

Post by mick11 »

I have had a number of enquiries about this software so emailed artframer today.

Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 13:49:56 +0100
I currently use Photography International and have had a number of enquiries from other framers here in the UK as to whether there are any UK moulding/matboard manufacturers/distributors that have compatible databases, particularly Aquadia. If so can you please let me have details

Their reply:

We are currently working on a new version of the software for the art industry, all current users will receive a free copy when it is released. We plan to have a UK version and Arqadia has already agreed to include their images and prices. We hope to have it available around year end.

If there are other major suppliers that you would like to have on the system we would appreciate it if you can encourage them to contact us and at the same time provide us with their contact information. (D & J Simons & Sons may be interested but they need some encouragement)
Regards
Nathan
Mick
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

Mick,

It looks like you are the most experienced here with this type of software. I have been playing with the demos of WIF and PIF for a little while, but am wondering if these might just be expensive toys that, while they might be nice for the framer to play with, may not necessarily be practical point-of-sale tools.
I hope you don't mind a few questions...

Do you use your visualisation software at the point of sale?

Does your software link directly to your camera?

What sort of customer reaction do you get?

Have you recouped your investment, ie. has it brought you any extra business?
mick11

Post by mick11 »

John,
I am in a slightly different situation to a lot of framers, in as much as I work from home.
I have it on my laptop, and when visiting customers take my Laptop and camera with me. It allows me to show the customer a wide range of options even to the extent of what the finished product will look like on their wall. I can also show a prospective internet customer what their artwork will look like just from a jpg, with a number of options.
Customer reaction has been extremely favourable in these situations.

I have found that customers can easily make decisions with my help, and it is easy for me to show them how awful some of their ideas look. :)
I can also instantly give them an accurate quote for any of the options, as the software calculates this on the fly once the various databases are set up.

I can take images directly from the camera via USB, use the built in card reader on the laptop and use jpg's from any source including email.

Whether this would give you an advantage in a shop POS situation is hard to tell. I would suggest you try the demo and see what kind of reaction you get. No harm in trying :)

Hope this helps

Mick
Mick
SquareFrames
Organisation: Dromore Picture Framing / Down School of
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Post by SquareFrames »

http://www.blinkred.com/gallery/static/home.asp

Try this one. By a company based in Scotland called Blink Red. Helps us a lot here as they use all Arqadia's mouldings and mountboards, as we do. Saves us having to download and use our own software, and the customer knows exactly what its fgoing to look like before they buy a print.

Steven
Someone Once Said 'Knowledge Is Power'
Down School of Picture Framing http://www.downschoolofpictureframing.co.uk
Ireland's Only Accredited Training School
GCF Examination Centre
Accredited Valiani Demonstration / Training Centre
mick11

Post by mick11 »

SquareFrames wrote:http://www.blinkred.com/gallery/static/home.asp

Try this one. By a company based in Scotland called Blink Red.
Perhaps I am a bit thick today but cannot find a link here that you describe
Mick
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

Post by Coxby »

After looking at all the software I am a little dissapointed with the final image, certainly with Custom Picture Framer the lack of detail such as shadows and sight edge depths really subtract from the overall posibilties of such software. The best I've seen so far is Steven's Blinkred with a pretty acurate render of the final image/mount/frame even down to the pattern on the Glacier mountboard; although it is only an online service and those like me who don't have the ability to go online at the workshop will miss out. If only the software writers could take note from Blinkred's site and improve the final image! :?
SquareFrames
Interests: Reading, relaxing, and funnily enough, its hard to stop thinking of framing

Software

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Mick11,

Click on the link provided, at the beginning of the posting, it takes you straight there. Click on an image, and 'Frame It' I have tried the link and thankfully it works, other people have also been able to get to Blink Red via this. Having said that, yesterday was a bugger of a day trying to get onto websites, with 'Errors' coming up and 'Web Site Not Found', computers take funny notions, eh?

In reply to Coxby, I know its a shame that this company only provides this framing software service 'Online', but its a godsend via Broadband, and thankfully, for us here, using all Arqadia's products.

Wouldn't it be great if the manufacturers such as Arqadia, had a software package that one could load onto the computer, thus being able to show every customer what their finished object would look like. Only basic problem I can see is our ability to scan the image, if its larger than A4, unless some have larger format scanners, otherwise this would be an excellent idea.

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi Steven,
My computer was having the same problems.
This online software looks the same as a number of others I have seen. I will try and find them and do a comparison. I think I have seen some where you can input your your own images but not sure if they were UK based.

I use my camera for "scanning" the image, so do not have a restriction on size, and whilst the images wont win any competitions they are more than adequate for this.

Regarding Coxby's comments, I have no problem seeing the profile of the molding or the texture of mountboard on my computer, and don't want the shadows.

Nathan at Artframer will be adding a section for UK framers to their website when the new version is released, and will be using Aqadia products plus any other company that is interested.

I am using a high end computer on 3meg broadband so if anyone wants other software evaluated I will be happy to do this.
Mick
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Hello - Thought I would pitch in at this point as a user of the ArtFramer software - same as Mick.
My view is that the software works very well indeed. The only issue which I have is getting hold of moulding and mountboard images so that I can produce a fair representation of the stock which I use. That said, moulding images are generally quite easy to get from online or CD catalogues and these display accurately- it is the mountboard which gives me the greatest headaches. Mick - if you can mail me any mountcard images - Arqadia, Daler-Rowney - I would be very much in your debt.

I have tried producing mountcard colours using Photoshop software but failed miserably especially when it comes to the subtle variations of "white" colours.

Alan
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi Alan,

The colours are basically the same, only the names are different :) so just match up the colours and rename them in the data base. You can also scan samples. Many of my mounts are custom finished so are not in any databases. I just add them as I go along.

You can also get the images from the net, (right click & save ) if right clicks are not disabled. Also bear in mind that different monitors can display slightly different colours.

To me this program is just an aid, and gives a very good representation of the finished article, thus giving the customer a pretty good idea of what their finished artwork will look like.

Hopefully by the end of the year the new version will be out with the databases relevant to the UK.
Mick
SquareFrames

Software

Post by SquareFrames »

Hi Mick11,

Funnily enough Mick, I had not thought of using a digital camera (was way too early to think that hard), , but whilst taking to someone else about it in the workshop, I did manage to remember the camera angle. (sorry about the naff pun)

I, like most framers await a software package that works by loading from a disc, and not online, this will save a whole lot of 'online' problems, regardless of broadband speed. Just think what a package like this, available to the masses would do for our POS area, and our abilty to save the bewildered look on a lot of clients faces.

As I am not as computer literate as I would like, I take it that laptop images do not have the clarity as ordinary SVGA monitors? Am I correct? If so this would make an awful lot of difference not only to us, but alos the client we are showing it to? Can I view a laptop image on another stand alone monitor?

Steven
GCF Examination Centre
mick11

Post by mick11 »

Hi Steven,

Most software today is down loadable from the net, but you normally have the option of a disk as well, or instead of. Artframer software is no exception.

I can see this software being used in a POS environment in the not to distant future in the UK. Similar software that is 10 times more expensive, plus overhead camera's at the design desk are already in use in the states. Nathan at Artframer is very amenable and helpful, and I am sure he will try and incorporate anything we ask for if it is possible, and and enough interest is shown over here.

Laptop displays are as good if not better than SVG displays of a few years ago. There have been vast advances in screen technology and the software/hardware to run them in the last couple of years. The only difference between my Laptop screen and my PC is the size. Both are high end, you get what you pay for.
To my untrained eye, the colour renditions are the same as the original, and clarity is superb. My screens also do not suffer from the pincushion effect and other nasties. inherent in SVG screens.

Don't be fooled by specifications, they often quote stuff outside of our normal range of sight, and so are really irrelevant , it is what you see that counts.
Mick
markw

Post by markw »

It’s been interesting to follow this string - like many here I have downloaded demos and looked at the possibilities and I am not over impressed with the results. The first time I tried this technology has to be about 4- 5 years ago, and whilst the image capture side has improved very little else has. The fundamental problem seems to be providing a display that accurately represents the finished product. I appreciate that you could have samples at hand and the display is only giving you a vague representation - this obviously wouldn’t work in an online version.

How many of us have gone through a stack of mount board samples - the customer rejecting slight variations of colour - the samples on screen just cant give you the accuracy needed to make a decision. What do you do when the customer picks up the work only to say that’s not what it looks like on this printout - I get customers who question slight variations in mouldings - they would have a field day with the inaccuracies involved with this technology.
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

The difference between the old systems and the new ones like Picture It First, are that the old systems required a database of moulding & mat images. You had to rely on the vendor to capture and distribute these images, which could be a hassle by modem. (Lot of info!)

The new systems take a digital photo of your design counter, and get the mat and moulding image directly from the photo.

We have been using the product since March or so, as a way to close sales faster. It paid for itself in the first few days, and has been VERY well received by customers. It takes away the mystery, and makes for an easier decision. We have it tied in with our POS, so it stores the image for archival purposes and prints it on the paperwork. I highly recommend the visualization technology.

There will be a story about this technology in the upcoming Picture Framing Magazine.

Mike
Get The Picture Framing www.getthepictureframing.com
Providence, RI
USA
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

markw wrote:The fundamental problem seems to be providing a display that accurately represents the finished product.
I get customers who question slight variations in mouldings - they would have a field day with the inaccuracies involved with this technology.
This is an area of concern, and visualisation may not be the way to go with this type of customer. But for the other 95%, the ones who just can't make the leap of imagination required to 'see' the finished result in their mind's eye, when all you are showing them is a couple of corner samples, this system could be a huge benefit.

I have just been playing with the demos, but I'm hoping to get set up soon in a way that will allow me to gauge customer reaction.

I think that this software will be useful for letting them see the difference that a well chosen frame can make.

However, I am struggling to make the process appear effortless. My customers are sure to be less than impressed with my inept faffing about with the mechanics of the program.
Frameus

Picture it first

Post by Frameus »

Our local Nielsen Rep (They hate that - Regional Sales Managers, they like to be called) came up with a programme from a company called Artpool - based in Aberdeen, I believe. The programme holds a library of moulding and mountboard pictures & prices. It couples these with a digital picture, which you take of the artwork involved. You manipulate the images etc. whle your customer dies of boredom or old age. Simple! and all for only £50.00 per. month and that is the base price.
Frameus