Valiani Future CMC matboard cutter year 2000

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Squiz
Organisation: Private
Interests: General picture framing

Valiani Future CMC matboard cutter year 2000

Post by Squiz »

Hi,
My name is Squiz and I run a small framing business in Australia.
New to the site, this my 1st query. I recently purchased the above matboard cutter second hand. Before purchasing it worked perfectly so the deal was done. When I got it home it did not work. It was not damaged in transit. I got the distributor for Valiani to have a look, he told me I needed a new control panel (on/off switch) which probably needed to be replaced and need to recondition the Rubens box (the brains)because it was not seeing the computer. The distributor also gave me a quote of about $5000au to fix the problem, I thought this was excessive. He says that he has to send the Rubens box back to Valiani (Italy) to be reprogrammed. I'm wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem, what they did and what did it cost.
markw

Re: Valiani Future CMC matboard cutter year 2000

Post by markw »

Hi Squiz - can you tell me what its doing. Lets assume you have installed the software. Plugged in the valiani to air and power. Switched on the valiani - control box - and made sure the emergency stop button is released. = is the fan running on the control box? Do the clamps lift on the Val when it gets power? Do you have a message on screen telling you there is an error trying to connect (sorry thats not the exact wording you would get - but fairly close).??
If the control box doesnt work have you checked all of the fuses (fuse checker worth having at this point)
I would also remove cards - use a rubber to clean connections - replace them making sure they are fitting well. * the serial number on top of the control box has to be entered into the software - get it wrong and the two wont talk.

if the control box is working
on the pc - I assume you are using the serial port connector. check it fits well.

Get back to me with some answers and we can at least help you to define the problem - hopefully fix it.

You can always email Valiani in Italy - they speak good english and are really nice people. At worst it might mean a blown board - not a major problem - although it might be expensive. But you might be able to get someone to repair it for you.

lets hope its fuses.
Dermot

Post by Dermot »

Also make sure that the BIG RED emergency stop button is reset….. don’t as why I know that….. :head:

Welcome to the Forum
Squiz

Post by Squiz »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for reply. The software has been installed on the computer and is working OK. The emergency stop has been released and the fan is working. The clamps do not lift. The clamps can be lifted manually, there is power getting to the solenoid. I will check the wording on the computer tonight and will clean the connections (good idea) using the rubber. All the fuses have been checked and are OK. The serial ports have been connected and are fitted OK.
Squiz
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You didn't mention a compressor. I don't know this machine - it may not use a compressor?

When I turn my CMC on, if the clamps don't lift, it's because the compressor is off.
markw

Post by markw »

have you checked that air is getting to the machine - you wouldnt be the first person to have kinked a pipe and thought the machine buggered. Have you had an engineer look at it? or are you installing it? Fan running would indicate power to the control box - I cant think of a good reason why the boards would suddenly pack up,
markw

Post by markw »

admission - I managed to trap the airline under one of the feet when cleaning my machine some months ago - couldnt for the life of me work out why the thing wasnt working - no air.

have you tried manual control of the carriage - even without air you should be able to get the carriage to move.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Squiz wrote:I got the distributor for Valiani to have a look
Just saw that bit - if it needs a compressor and you don't have one/it wasn't turned on, reckon he would have spotted it :oops:
Squiz

Post by Squiz »

All,
Sorry for the delay in responding but have been away for a couple of days. The machine runs with a compressor and air is getting to the machine. The computer says "serial error", I assume this means that the computer is not seeing the machine. The Australian contact for Valiani has taken away the Rubens box to be re-conditioned by Valiani. Not sure when it will be returned, when something does happen I will keep you informed. This is not cheap and I hope when the new Rubens box is fitted it will work. Does anybody have a control box for sale for this unit or know where I can get one.
Squiz
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Squiz
The 'serial error' report means that the software is not handshaking or recognising the control box.

You say you saw it working fine before purchase. So a few questions please.

Did you purchase the PC that the software was on as well.
or
Did you load the Software from the CD onto your own PC.

Are you sure that the version you saw before purchase is the same version that you have now. The reason I ask this is just in case a software update was issued or downloaded which you did not get with the machine.

The control box is serial numbered to the Software. I doubt very much that you will find a control box on its own for sale.
Even if you did you would have to go back to Valiani Italy and get the new handshake protocol file.
John GCF
Squiz

Post by Squiz »

Merlin,
The computer came with the machine with the software already installed. I understand what you mean when you say the software must be compatable with the Rubens box.
Squiz