Advice Needed - Sharing a Broadband Connection

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Advice Needed - Sharing a Broadband Connection

Post by Moglet »

Hi all,

I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to wireless connectivity on PC's. I'm hoping that the friend I am staying with is going to upgrade his BB connection from his current 1GB download limit so that I will be able to have better access to the internet, Skype and so forth.

His PC is a Dell running Vista, and has an Intel Core2 Quad processor. His current router only has a single ethernet connection. Apparently his service provider includes a wireless router in the upgrade bundle, but I don't know what might be needed to get my PC to talk to it. My PC's a Dell Precision (bought in 2005), and I've been using a USB Netopia Router connected to the DSL at my former premises. As far as I know, it doesn't have any wireless capabilities.

Do I need to add some sort of card or USB gizmo to be able to talk to a wireless router? Any advice would be very much appreciated. :)
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Mary Case GCF

Re: Advice Needed - Sharing a Broadband Connection

Post by Mary Case GCF »

moglet, you could buy a USB wifi stick like this http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prod ... 54USB.html
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Re: Advice Needed - Sharing a Broadband Connection

Post by Moglet »

Ta oodles for the info! :)

Wish I could post more on the Forum, but I've got very restricted access to BB at the moment. :(
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.