Mozilla Thunderbird

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Roboframer

Mozilla Thunderbird

Post by Roboframer »

Anyone use this? I use it for emails from my website.

Recently my PC had a seizure and this is one of the things I had to re-install, I have a print out of the idiot guide my web designer sent me when I initially set it up but things must have changed since then as it now asks me for outgoing server. It must have set that automatically before.

I set it to SMTP (default) but I can't send emails; only receive them.

Also, even though the email address and password are the same, there's no history - no address book, nothing!
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Not an expert in these matters in any way but I think you need your Internet Service Provider's SMTP.

Here is the relevant paragraph from my hosting companies instruction manual:
You will need to contact your broadband provider and get them to give you the ‘Outgoing
SMTP server’ setting as we do not have an Outgoing SMTP server
May be something your web designer did when setting up the site.
Colin
Organisation: Polka Dot Art Centre
Interests: Sculpture and art in general

Post by Colin »

Hello Robo,

SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is used for sending mail whereas POP (Point of Presence) is used for receiving it. You need to set up your SMTP settings with the name of your providers server. If you are lucky it will be the same as the POP setting and you know this one is working. It will probably look like: mail.servername.co.uk.

If you click on Edit then Properties you should see the POP settings near the top of the list on the left hand side with SMTP near the bottom. Make a note of the POP server name, click on SMTP then add it by clicking on the 'add' button.

For the secure protocols at the bottom of the 'add' window pick 'TLS if available'

Come back to me if you have any problems
Colin
Sic dunkum biscuitus disintegrat
Colin
Organisation: Polka Dot Art Centre
Interests: Sculpture and art in general

Post by Colin »

OOPS!!!!!

Sorry forgot to mention, when you click on Edit -> Properties you need to be on 'Local Folders'. If you are sitting in your Inbox you will only see the properties for that particular folder.

Colin
Sic dunkum biscuitus disintegrat
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Thanks for the replies - it's crashed again - I'll do all that when I get around to reinstalling it and also ask my web person to set up emails to another address too.
Ian Goodman
Organisation: Ian Goodman Photography
Interests: Chinese Cooking.
Playing with my Grandchildren
Photoshop Training with Maitland U3A

Post by Ian Goodman »

Another vey good piece of Software and it free is Moz Backup, moz backup will backup all your Thunderbird and Firefox settings so that if you have to rebuld your system you can restore all your email settings including adddress books.
It would be wise to save this file on another drive in your machine because if you leave it on your C Drive you would loose this, it is getting harder to find reliable hard drives so be ready to rebuild systems.
Hope this helps
markw

Post by markw »

crashing is not a good thing - and it must be crashing for a reason. The reason pcs crash is often because you have loaded something they just dont like - or attached a piece of equipment that normally has loaded drivers that dont work with your os. If this happened after you loaded software then remove the software - and use something like crap cleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner to clean up the registry.
paul cadremont
Organisation: www.cadremont.co.uk
Interests: art, framing, photography, design , street hockey

Post by paul cadremont »

Are you still having a problem with this ?
Check with your ISP they can tell you the correct email (POP + SMTP) settings to use.
It will either be an incorrect port setting or user / pw issue.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Too much grief, simply got my web host to have all enquiries sent to my AOL address. an 'info@ ....' address might look a bit more pro than an '.....@AOL address, but the email address is not displayed on the website, just an enquiry form.