Valiani - new software

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
markw

Valiani - new software

Post by markw »

Valiani have just released new software for their CMCs - It seems to have improved dramatically the machines ability to cut ovals and circles - no more defects at the point of blade insertion. I had intended to run the new software alongside the old - beware it over writes the old software - so far I haven’t come across any major bugs and the added layout capability has made multi aperture openings a really easy.

Valiani have always built robust well engineered machines - that were let down by software - the fact that they are now selling to a different market by lowering prices, and through Fletcher (Valiani) in the USA seems to have forced them to look at software issues.

In the UK a number of us have put indirect - and at the Spring fair fairly direct pressure on Valiani to get their act together on issues that we weren’t happy with. That pressure seems to have worked proving the point that if enough positive feedback (or negative in this case) gets through to the manufacturer than things get done.

This forum is a great resource for discussion on the merits of new products coming onto the market. We are often small businesses that have little power to radically change how things are done. Positive appreciation or justified criticism can all be used to build a picture to other framers of the value of their potential purchase. So! Any feedback on the new Valiani software over the next few weeks, any new methods of working?

If you know of any framer nearby who runs a Valiani CMC - send them a link to this topic please - The UK agents whilst technically very savvy are not so hot on communications skills.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi Mark
Well written. One thing that I did was to rename the old (original) FutureDesigner folder and then installed the new software in its own folder. Both actually work now.

One thing that did not arrive on the new CD was any Fonts. The FLETCHER information leaflet stated that a new Font Library had been added. However, Richard did send me the Font.

Some very handy improvements, although initially the 'Nudge' function did not work. Richard also at a loss as to why.

After some play time and button crunching and mouse clicking, One way I have found to nudge is to Highlight the Clipart using 'Left click' and drag, then place the mouse cursor into the white highlighted area and 'Right click' the mouse, this then enables you to use the 'Arrow keys on the keyboard' to nudge in any direction.

I also do like the resize function as well.

PDF file on its way to you via email
John GCF