"Getting British Business Online"

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

"Getting British Business Online"

Post by Not your average framer »

I have just got my own website, domain name and two years free web hosting all for a £10 registration fee. It's a govenment supported inititive run jointly by Google and British Telecom.

To do this I had to attend a training workshop held locally this morning and by the time the workshop had finished, my website was already up and running. It is an online based facility which does not require any software of your own and the website is template based.

I still need to add some appropiate content, pictures, some additional pages and submit it to the main search engines, but apart from that, it's all happening.

Anyone who is yet to get their own website and wants to keep the costs down, may like to check out this inititive and find out who is operating the scheme in their particular area.

When I've got my own website sorted, I'll post the address so it can be checked out.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: "Getting British Business Online"

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I was alerted to this by our council who used to run a community portal (I think that is the right term).

It was a free of charge service that enabled local businesses, voluntary groups, churces etc.to get an online presence.

They have now withdrawn this service and suggested businesses try Getting British Business Online. Will be interested to hear your experience/views.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: "Getting British Business Online"

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Johnny,

I'm very pleased with what I've got so far. It was very quick and easy to do. I need to create adequate content to make it a meaningful website (and this may take time to happen), but if they had not contacted me with a deal which was too good to miss, I would not currently have a website at all.

I don't have any particular targets to achieve by having this website, but others may having bigger plans and want something more expensive. To me it's just another shop window for people to see what I have to offer and I won't be offering to business by mail order. I do business face to face, or not at all.

No doubt as with all things, you get what you pay for and for my own needs this will be o.k.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer