Valiani Users in the UK

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Valiani Users in the UK

Post by Merlin »

Just wondering how many users of the Forum - UK that is - that are owners/users of the Valiani CMCs

I only know of 3 so far. The reason for asking is that there is a Software update and an extensive Library now available.
John GCF
Manor Fine Arts

new born valiani operator

Post by Manor Fine Arts »

Hi Merlin

I m awaiting arrival of my new Valiani CMC and cant wait to start designing, I was hoping members could share their own designs.

whats your thoughts

Paul
Manor Fine Arts

Ireland
markw

Post by markw »

Hi John - yep I know I'm one of the three. New software is very good. Text is now so much easier. How long have I had this machine - you would have thought I had worked out what CCW meant by now? It was just reverse bevel on last software - now its CCW.

It will be interesting to see if Paul (Manor Fine Arts) gets a detailed set of instructions for new software.
Keith

Valiani Owner.

Post by Keith »

Hi Guys I think I'm no.3.

I still haven’t loaded in my upgrade yet, knowing the problems you two have had, I'm a little reluctant, and being busy at the moment I don't want to be without the machine. I've loaded it into another computer but I got the same as you had John with a black background when you open for a new mount, but the program seems to work OK.

Any ideas for a smooth upgrade !!!

Keith
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Keith
Send an email to NICO. I had to get an updated .DAT file sent by email. It worked fine then.

Well done Mark. The new text is just a start! Delve deeper.

Paul, Well done, that makes 4 V users on this Forum. What make and model are you getting.
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

Keith - Black background is ok as far as I am aware - John was getting probs displaying the coloured cut view - I didnt experience this problem.

My problem turned out to be a faulty circuit board - once changed the software loaded very easily. Getting to that point was a little frustrating.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi. John/Mark

Thanks for that info. I will be emailing Nico now, and will try it over the weekend.

Have a nice break.

Keith
Manor Fine Arts

New Valani CMC User

Hi all

The machine I have ordered is the Valiani Future Supreme 120.

I got Corel draw version 9 as I was told that is the best version to design with. and the version with less conflicts.

As new user of Corel draw am I right in thinking the shape required is designed and then saved in a certain format for the CMC to use. can any one tell me will the shape be scaleable or is there further instructions.

I am asking these questions and probably have it all explained during the machine instruction.

Sorry to sound so vague as this is all new to me.

Paul
Manor Fine Arts
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Paul
I hope you get it all explained by Richard on his installation briefing.

In Corel, you design within the tablet whatever you want. If you are designing over a few days then Save as a .PLT. Certainly with Valiani it is better to Export in the PLoTter format. That is (dot)PLT as an extension.

Once in the FutureDesigner package you can decide whether to continue using the .PLT by importing it onto your mount or by saving it as a .FU2 file (V specific).

The shape will be fully scaleable whichever format you are working with using the drop down TOOLBOX- highlighting the shape(s) - and Re-Sizing.

That sentence took longer to type than it actually does to do.
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

The best advice I can give you is to design the shape in coreldraw at the size you need to cut. You can scale but this will sometimes result in problems with curves. The latest software has a tool that allows you to muck around with curves - but I've not used it yet and I'm told that its not very effective. If you set up a page on Corel same size as your mount - then design all elements as if you were designing within the valiani software - convert to PLT file - import into open mount same size as set up on corel - and Bobs your uncle.
Manor Fine Arts

The new baby is born

I am now the proud father of a future valiani supreme 120 and like any proud father its beautiful

"WoW WoW" how did I manage without it for so long. I have mastered ne shapes but working with Corel draw will take longer as I dont even know the basics. :)
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Welcome to the world of the Valiani CMC's.

18 months later I am still saying "WOW" to mine.

Corel takes time and patience, although you can get 'sucked in' and disappear within its workings.

Remember K.I.S.S.

Look forward to seeing some of your 'patterns' in the not too distant future then !!
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

It takes time to master the basics - but well worth the effort getting to know the software - both Valiani and Corel. I have recently started doing more within Valianis shape creation and less with Corel as I feel you get a more reliable result. Problem is that the Valiani software is very clunky in comparison to Corel - but being somewhat old school graphics where you measured cordinates for everything the old fashioned approach is not too bad.

New user tips - use two cutting mats. paint a yellow dot on the blade setting knob so that you can see its set at standard depth clearly when operating the PC - check that you can see the dot before you press start. As a general rule always set the machine back to standard depth - dont leave it on a deep cut - or you will damage your cutting bed.
get to know how the machine is calibrated - the more you understand the finer tuned you can get things. Always ask the silly questions.

enjoy!
Manor Fine Arts

Customer Booklet or Poster for Valiani Shapes

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I asked Richard winkworth if Valiani supplied a display poster or some way for customers to select the type of corner or FU2 file required .

He doesnt know if one is available.

I am at present compiling printable pages showing the designs in the PLT format but cant seem to work out how to copy the FU2 files so as I can include them in my customer booklet. any ideas?.

WhenI get the PLT completed you are welcome to it, just send email address to paul@manorfinearts.co.uk
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Paul
Richard does know that one exists. I emailed the formats to him last year.

I have them in Word format. If you want

In fact the first copy has been sent to your email address
John GCF
insider

Re: Valiani Users in the UK

Post by insider »

Merlin wrote:Just wondering how many users of the Forum - UK that is - that are owners/users of the Valiani CMCs

I only know of 3 so far. The reason for asking is that there is a Software update and an extensive Library now available.
Can you let me know how to get these updates
insider

owners/users of the Valiani CMCs

Post by insider »

I have one in Northern ireland

I
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Insider
What version sofware are you using.

I have Mat Pro 120 and I am on the latest V4.2 if that helps

Have just had the Text update (well 1 letter) which was errrrmmm 'missing' on the roll out. ????? :oops:

The trade show could be interesting, when both Nico and Luca will be there.
John GCF
daviddeer

Post by daviddeer »

I have an older mat pro 120. 18 months old and the Italians tell me it's old news!! I cannot install the new software. However I downloaded it from the fletcher terry site in the us as I cannot login to the valiani site (they still can't get the hang of UK postcodes) and within the new software are all the libraries. Just put them in the draw with the old ones and away I go...or so I thought. It seems the cutting speed for some of the designs has been set to 9000. OOOps!!! I never knew the cutter head could move that fast.
Spoke to Richard at peregrin and he said I am not missing much as the old software is a lot more reliable.
I am sure the owners of new machines will bang on about how wonderful the new software is. As I can't use it I don't really care.
You'll never regret having a CMC, just wish mine would make Capuccino.
Giclee is just a term for a little squirt making lots of money
Remember conservation Framing is an art, for everything else there's Araldite
markw

Post by markw »

daviddeer wrote: Spoke to Richard at peregrin and he said I am not missing much as the old software is a lot more reliable.
Which software are you talking about? Richard can be relied upon to be very sceptical in his views about software. He's probably right as the only problems Iv ever had with my machine is when loading updates.

I am running software version 4.2.0