Colour printer advice

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
fraggle
Organisation: Perfectly Framed
Interests: Gardening, tennis, DIY

Colour printer advice

Post by fraggle »

Hi

Just wondering if any of you would recommend a particular colour printer for e.g. printing business cards, general admin/paper work. It is not something that I will be using to print any art work for customers although something with decent quality production for my own photos would be handy.

I would prefer one with separate colour cartridges so that, for example, if a logo uses up more of one particular colour I do not need to replace all of them when one runs out.

I was wondering about an Epson e.g. an EpsonPX800FW was recommended to me, I have also recently come across another Epson 710PW

I don't want to spend loads but need something that will be worthwhile adding new printer cartridges to

What is best - laser or inkjet (does it have to be inkjet to be colour printer?)

Any recommended suppliers e.g. Pixmania or main sundries supplier like Lion?

Any advice gratefully received as you can see, not my area of expertise

Thanks

fraggle
stcstc

Re: Colour printer advice

Post by stcstc »

if its for general office use
ie card etc

i would suggest you look at a colour laser printer

have a look at the oki ones they can handle quite thick stock etc

the other benefit is they can take the colour laser transfer paper from magic touch and you can then with a heat press be making stuff for the shop etc
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

Small point, but you also mentioned that you might use the printer for printing your own photos.

What kind of camera do you own? I'm a firm believer in matching products, since the designers almost certainly work that way, so as I'm a Canon photographer, I use Canon printers inks and paper most of the time.

The Canon Pixma iP4700 is a decent A4 colour printer, and won't break the bank.
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
fraggle
Organisation: Perfectly Framed
Interests: Gardening, tennis, DIY

Post by fraggle »

I own an old Fuji finepex which is about 7 years old!

Iwould probably not be to print photos for long term but more for e.g. making your own Christmas cards etc and would continue to get those done professionally.

My main concern is not getting stung by buying a cheap printer that has expensive inks. I have also heard that replacement "drums" for them are more than the actual printers but I do not know if this applies to colour printers or black and white laser jets?

Thanks
fraggle
ShaggyDog
Organisation: FrameDog
Interests: Music, photography, where the cat is going to sleep next.

Post by ShaggyDog »

Hi Fraggle, I spent a long time working in IT and during my terms with various firms all of them swapped from using colour inkjets to using colour lasers as they are much more reliable, much cleaner (I'd rather vacuum up a load of toner than have to deal with ink cartridges that decide to leak ink everywhere) and there is not much difference in price these days. I have both at home and use the laser for just about everything (it's a HP laserjet 2600n which is no longer made, but the cheaper HP lasers are generally well regarded) and a Canon Pixma iP4700 which I use for printing photographs to a very high quality and business cards which come on a sheet of 12 and have problems going around the curves in a laser printer and which have a surface which does not like to take laser printing. Hope that's some help.