A New Baby Has Arrived

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

A New Baby Has Arrived

Post by David »

It is with great pleasure that I can announce the arrival of a new addition to the family. Weighing in at 165lb and nearly 7' long it is already creating quite an impression. We do not yet have a name but it will definately be female, racey, with a hint of style and sophistication. Adopted from parents in Switzerland the red head has already settled in and even started earning some keep on the first day, which is a relief.

Well I've gone and done it! I've bought a CMC. It's been on my mind for some time but wasn't intending to get one so soon, but following what can be done on the Forum and seeing a demo at the Lion event at Heathrow the more I thought about it, the more I realised it had to be done. It came down to a choice between the Valiani and the Gunnar and I went for the Gunnar F1.

We've had a couple of days training, which has been excellent, and are now getting to grips with learning to fly the thing, already cut some mounts with titleboxes, so easy! Can't wait to get stuck in, hopefully next week, need to get some customers work done for the weekend first.

David.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Re: A New Baby Has Arrived

Post by birdman »

Well done David and you have a nice machine, not a Valiani true but good all the same. :giggle:

What made you chose the Gunnar over the Valiani?
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
David

Post by David »

Hi Rolf

I don't think there is much between the two machines in terms of quality and performance so the differences become more subjective and subtle. Like choosing between a BMW and a Mercedes (I wish), they both do the job with slight variations.

I wasn't really looking for a machine but I saw the Gunnar demo'd at the Lion event a couple of months ago and started following the discussions on here and started doing some research, internet, the grumble and friends with machines. I narrowed it down to the Valiani and Gunnar and contacted them both for more information.

The same day Sarah from Gunnar called me back and arranged a visit from David the sales/engineer so I could see the software in action. Being able to work and learn the software was now my biggest reservation, as I would be wanting to do some technical stuff. You Tube has also proved very valuable as there are a number of videos showing the various machines and customer reviews. I had received some info from Valiani and was working out when to go up and see a machine at Simons when David from Gunnar called me with an offer on a machine I could not refuse, so I went for the Gunnar.

In the end the main points that influensed my decision were:
A more than capable machine, functions and quality.
From reviews reliable.
impressive reponse from Sarah and David.
Software I could use.
David

Post by David »

This is carrying on from the post above as it timed out on me(twice) as did the edit option. Do you have to cut and paste a longer post or if you get interupted?

Anyway reasons for decision:
I also had a friend who had been through the same process earlier in the year and they went for the Gunnar.

The biggest factor came down to being confident I could use the software and that it would do what I wanted, and having an afternoon to play with it made alot of difference, without that I would not have made a decision before seeing the Valiani.

I dare say you could say much the same about both machines, but for me the Gunnar ticked all the boxes and I did not have any doubts when the chance of a machine came up.

So, why did you choose Val? That must be much more interesting than mount cutting.

David.
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

Hey David,

I love your intro post - very funny!

Congratulations on the arrival of your new Gunnar F1 CMC!

I'm sure it will bring pleasure, creativity and profit to your work from here in. We've really put a lot of work into that machine, and our software, to make it as useful and as simple to use as possible.

Feel free to shoot me your e-mail address if you want, and I'll send you some "cool" files, and add you to my newsletter list!

Jared Davis MCPF, GCF
jared@megawood.com.au
http://www.jared-davis.com
http://www.gunnar.com.au
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

Hi David,

Thanks for the explanation I sure it will be helpful for people making the same decision in the future.

For my own part I went a similar route to you, carrying out lots of research but my intention was always to visit the Spring Fair and see all the contenders. I started with having had experience with the Gunnar, the model prior to your version, and had been impressed with that. I had also had chats with Sarah about purchasing or leasing and had the software demo but I wanted to be sure in my own mind what the competition was like.

Some good advice on the forum advised taking examples of mounts you wanted cut not just rectangles and multi apertures but graphics too. At the Spring Fair these were all presented for testing and only Valiani produced the goods. One said they couldn’t do what I asked, another hadn’t got the time and the other had a problem with their cmc. Now I was there for three days but still only Valiani answered all the questions I could come up with and were happy to produce numerous examples.

Now as I said before I had seen Gunnar software in action prior to the Spring Fair and had previous experience with it and was inclined to go with Gunnar. However the turning point was “er indoors” who said she like the Valiani software and found it easier to use, they also had a very good deal and so I ended up with the Valiani and am more than happy with that decision. My wife by the way has never used the Val or its “easy to use”software since we bought it!

I was happier still when they introduced the mat stylus pen head that allows me to draw lines, images and text on the mount too. But I did suffer a twinge of regret when your model of Gunnar was launched with the new head. However for me the Val ticks all the boxes and she can cut and draw boxes too so that’s a bonus.

I would recommend that you take up Jared’s offer. I wish he would send me some “cool” files in the spirit of international cooperation. 8)

Re: timing out, I typed this in Word and then cut and pasted it into this post. I find it gives me time to reflect on what I have typed and lets me correct any errerrs.

Good luck with your new production tool and new member of staff.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

I did much the same as you david, and came to the same conculsion, I went for the F1 Hybrid.

i went for the hybrid as i sell quite a few mounts alone
David

Post by David »

Hi Rolf, Val is your machine isn't it, not your wife. I think I got that one a bit wrong. :Slap:

I do find it interesting reading why some go for one machine rather than another and the two machines seem very close in performance so it's the other factors that swing it. Must admit that drawing head was very tempting.

Thanks for the info, even if it was only your machine. Have you thought of getting out more, I know I should. I thought it was only me that felt that way about mount cutting with my new baby, still haven't got a name for mine.

David.
David

Post by David »

Hi stcstc

Your original post was one of the ones that helped my choice, very helpful, thank you. How's it going ? I'm getting started proper tomorrow, although I'll be working on the software this afternoon. Any tips for a newby?

David.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

wow thats cool

one thing i found is to actually have the software on my computer in the office, where i can sit and design more complicated things, and then the computer next to the machine i use to do simple things and run the machine

as standing next to the machine when your trying to do complicated things is a pain

download the extra how to's from the gunnar site, there a bunch of PDF's and videos which are kinda cool

the other really cool thing, if ya get stuck ring david or sarah direct and generally they can just help ya over the phone

send me your contact details and we can then keep in touch on anything thats happening etc