Buying a cmc (second hand)

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
bespokeframer
Organisation: North wales
Interests: Rallying,Framing

Buying a cmc (second hand)

Post by bespokeframer »

Helo just wondering if any of you can help me with some advice. I've been thinking about renting, or buying a second-hand cmc.

I'd initially thought of renting, but I'd need to sell a lot of frames to meet the monthly rental, and seeing as I'm a small and fairly new venture decided against it.

Second option is buying an used cmc as I cant afford a new one. How reliable are second hand machines?? And how much would you expect to pay for one?

Need the machine mainly to cut out text in a mount, and I'd be looking at getting a macine with a pen head. Not sure if I could even get a second hand one with a pen head?

Thanks
Graysalchemy

Re: Buying a cmc (second hand)

Post by Graysalchemy »

I have the first ever made Trucut alpha circa 1995, it has been updated but is a fantastic robust machine. Trucut often have refurbished machines which they rent with a view to buy. You can speak to bob on 0161 749 7540.

Regards

Alistair
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Talk to Joe Adepoju (Machinery Manager) at D & J Simons he will know of new Valiani machines being installed and if the user has one to dispose of.

It might also clinch them a deal if they can broker a sale of an existing machine.

Mark Griffiths who does the servicing might also be worth a call. His number is on the back of the Simons brochure.
Jared Davis CPF, GCF
Organisation: Www.jareddavis.com.au
Interests: CMC's, Running

Post by Jared Davis CPF, GCF »

bespokeframer wrote:Need the machine mainly to cut out text in a mount, and I'd be looking at getting a machine with a pen head. Not sure if I could even get a second hand one with a pen head?
Given that pen tool technology has not been a common innovation with CMC's until quite recently (although it was first introduced to the CMC market by Zund in 1997), you may find it difficult to source a "second hand" CMC on the market with this ability.
Generally speaking - cutting text into mounts is much better handled by more recent model CMC's, than it is by older model CMC's, which are more "clunkier" and struggle in this regard to easily produce results to a popularly acceptable expectation. There are both hardware and software reasons for this. If this point is important to you, as you say, then make sure you physically see the machine cutting an example of this for you, and watch what is involved in designing it in the software too.

Maybe you could consider the option of outsourcing - to build you business up to a point it can afford the rental?

Some helpful and sincere advice -

1. Not all CMC's are created equal.
2. Never buy a CMC without seeing it fully demonstrated first to your expectations first.
3. Always consider service, support and reliability as well.
4. You have to ask the question - why are they selling it?
5. If you insist on buying a second hand CMC, then consider getting it professionally installed – with training – to save you $$ in waste time, heartache, and matboard. Just like you wouldn’t travel overseas without travel insurance… same applies to professional installation.
6. At the end of the day – you always get what you pay for.

Good luck with it,

Jared Davis MCPF, GCF
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Jared Davis CPF, GCF wrote: you may find it difficult to source a "second hand" CMC on the market with this ability.
Generally speaking - cutting text into mounts is much better handled by more recent model CMC's, than it is by older model CMC's, which are more "clunkier" and struggle in this regard to easily produce results to a popularly acceptable expectation.
I totally disagree with you on this one. I have the oldest trucut alpha which is a fantastic machine, with updated software this machine is a lot better and faster than most machines on the market. It is British engineered made to last.

However I aggree with most of your other points. When I found my second hand machine I rang trucut to see if they new anything abut it which they did. I was able to ascertain what condition it was in and what work if any needed doing on it. I spent quite a bit having it refurbished but it was quite serviceable when I bought it and cut mounts very well. I had a budget in my mind how much I wanted to spend, so I bought the machine at a fair price then had the work done on it. I got it for less the half its value new fully factory reconditioned.

I haven't had much experience of other machines however I know framers with wizards Gunnars and Zunds. The trucuts are well made machines and as mine has proved stood the test of time.

Good Luck in your search.

Alistair
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Alistair, does your Truecut do small font letters and drive a pen, which I think was the point being made about availability to suit the need?
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Another point - you'll see at the top of the main page Board Index a link to Framers Forum Live 22nd March at Stratford - you can see all the main machines there, and even though you're unlikely to be in the market for new, you can see how each operate, meet the demonstators / sales team and get a communication link going. That way they'll chase you when they can thread a new and used sale together.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

AARRGHH - 27th!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I think you will find any machine will have a physical limit on font size due to blade and depth of board. Software may have some baring on it but I am running the latest software. Finally I have a debosing head which can be used to write with even signatures. Not bad for an old machine.
bespokeframer
Organisation: North wales
Interests: Rallying,Framing

Post by bespokeframer »

Thanks for the replies up to now.
Did go to the spring fair and sampled the 4 machines available.

Have been outsourceing my mount's up to now ,allthough the service is really good and the company is very reliable it would be much easier if i had a machine of my own and could offer some new designs and try a lot of diffrent things.

Your comment are really helpfull.
thanks
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Graysalchemy wrote: Finally I have a debosing head which can be used to write with even signatures. Not bad for an old machine.
Debosing Head on your Tru Cut? When you say write I'm guessing you don't mean with ink? Any chance you could pm me a pic?
thanks
Will
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

No with the debosing tool. The newer trophy machines can have a pen attached to them. All machines can also be modified to cut glass as well, with a cutting wheel. You can also cut boxes as well. Not much a trucut can't do and if you have an idea Bob is always ready to listen to see if something if feasable. Great company.