Drawn Thread Mount

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
span2iels
Organisation: Harlequin Frames
Interests: Rugby Union, Bridge, allotment.

Drawn Thread Mount

Post by span2iels »

I was asked to replicate a mount on the pattern of a Drawn Thread cross stitch by a lady who had tried several framers who had turned her down.

The design was reasonably simple for a CMC user but difficult otherwise. The design was not in the extensive Valiani shape folder and so using the New shape function I was able to simply design the required shape. The mount uses Arqadia board 8640 Imperial Blue for the top mount and 8146 Damson for the second level. Very pleased with the result and looking forward to finishing the job. Mount seen below.
Attachments
Cross Stitch Drawn Thread Comp.jpg
Cross Stitch Drawn Thread Comp.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
Mal Reynolds GCF(APF) Adv
Bespoke Picture Framing and Custom Mount Cutting
International Lecturer and Trainer
Roboframer

Re: Drawn Thread Mount

Post by Roboframer »

Nice job and nicely won!

Not being very experienced with the new shape function, I'll tell you what I would have done. I'd've found the rectangle with top (or bottom) corners rounded (assuming that shape exists, sure it must) and used 4 of them in the sizes/positions required. They'd overlap of course and the fall-outs would be cut through with a risk of one being dragged around, but I've done this - with different shapes to this - many times.

One of the CMCs - the wizard I think, has the ability, once several shapes have been imposed over each other in that way, to select and cut the outside shape only.

Can that be stolen for the Val please?
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

you can kinda do that on the gunnar by merging shapes together. this would give you an outside like your talking about john

I wonder if that exists on the val software maybe
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It doesn't - here's an example of when it would have been useful, the flag aperture (which doesn't include the cross, that's on the flag) was two apertures lined up. The existing shape in the software was a square with one corner rounded - so that meant for each aperture the centre (which was the side of each shape) was cut twice. The fall-outs actually did get dragged about on some when I wasn't quick enough with the utility knife (there were 144 of these frames) and a bit of touching up on those bevels needed doing, but it wasn't too much of a problem. Thing is though, the operative word is 'problem' - who needs 'em - this shape is a simple one; not Michael Jackson or Edward friggin' Scissorhands!

As I remember I did try the new shape function but gave up - it's probably me but I find it a PITA - like etch-a-sketch but harder! Also, again if I remember right, that shape did already exist, but the wrong way around - top left and bottom right rounded; turning it through 180 degrees was no good, still top left/bottom right :Slap: The design needed to be flipped; not turned and you can't do that (?) So I tried cutting face down reverse bevel, which was OK - but not when you want to cut 15 of these (including the main aperture of course) in one go from a jumbo board, and anyway, when it was reduced to the size I wanted, the corners were too sharp. These corners worked because the existing shape was a square; not a rectangle.
004.JPG
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

You can draw the shapes in Corel Draw then export as a plt file and import the plt into the Valiani.

Alternatively use the New Shape function as Mal did. It is not immediately intuitive, at least for people like me who were born B.C. (before computers) but if you have a spare evening it is worth experimenting.
markw

Post by markw »

Nice job Mal. Fairly good design for newshape - straight lines and curves that can be fairly easily plotted - thus giving you a very accurate result. Problem is that as design software goes it's very primitive and very basic, designing anything more complicated means you have to spend time working out plotting coordinates ( as you would have done for this). Valiani have relied upon Coreldraw as its design tool. Whilst this will easily create almost any design your creative skill can come up with - it requires a good knowledge of a complicated software.

Valiani's competitors have, in my opinion, stolen a march upon Valiani's cutting software, that is, when you consider the advanced cutting, creasing, drawing and embossing capabilities of the Valiani.