CMC's and business strategy

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

CMC's and business strategy

Post by Not your average framer »

It's getting nearer to the point in time when I hope to take the plunge and rent a Gunnar F1 Hybrid and I'm looking for some advice about changes to business strategy once I have got it.

Naturally I am getting it, because I expect it to give me some serious extra edge in effeciency of working, competitive advantages over my competitors and some extra wow factor to the presentation of my work.

So can anyone suggest any specific ways to get the best out of a CMC from day one?
Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Re: CMC's and business strategy

Post by Graysalchemy »

In the early days (5 yrs ago) my trucut enabled me to increase my business with photographers mainly because could offer 3000micron board and cut them easily, and also easily and painlessly cut multiple apertures. Since then that part of my business hasd declined with the decline of high street portrait photographers. However my work with publishers has increased and also far more of my contract work requires mounts (before it was stretched canvases board mount and straight to frame) so it is swings and roundabouts.

I mainly use it for efficiency in fact I couldn't work with out it (or my cassese saw and underpinner). I think they have become a necessity for framers doing my sort of work commercial and bespoke contract.

Has it paid for itself of course yes but not in a quantifiable way. I can't say that I have cut x million 10 x 8 as I don't do that sort of work but if I didn't have it I wouldn't have been able to have kept up in the shift from board mounted work to mounted work.

I haven't gone down the road of fancy mounts as I don't personally like them. I do the odd mount with a company logo on it once every other year, however having said that I have got an order for a large number of frames with branded mounts.

So I can't really suggest any specific ways to get the most out of it other than in my case it has allowed me to do volume and work far more efficiently. I think If I hadn't invest so heavily in machines over the past 5 years I wouldn't have been able to keep pace with the changes in the market and I would have certainly had to have taken on staff and all the responsibility that that entails.

What ever happens it will be the best move you make :clap: :clap:
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

If I had to offer one tip it would be to learn the software thoroughly from the beginning and any other associated applications like Corel Draw.

Five years down the line I am still learning this part of it but that is mainly due to letting some else do the mounts for the first three years as I was working part time elsewhere.
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Here is something I have just done this morning:
VW Camper.jpg
VW Camper.jpg (542.46 KiB) Viewed 8663 times
It is 20" x 16" and the recipients name has been added. Top layer bright white with bottom layer to suit colour of owners VW. I sell these at £15 as a mount but most customers have a frame as well. Simons Festival range is good for some funky colours and the bottom laer can be selected to suit individual taste.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Regardless of the machine's capabilities I suspect that most of the work that you put through your new mount cutter will be regular 90 degree corners.
However it makes things like using thick mount board, multi apps, v grooves etc.. a doodle. All these sell very well and at a premium and of course no worries about hooking and over-cuts etc.

When we first installed our machine we created a story for the local press which created a lot of interest and made people aware we had such a machine

I understand its difficult taking on a financial commitment in this current financial climate but I'm sure you wont regret it.
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks for the input, some good ideas there for me to get my head around.

I have never expected a CMC to pay for it's self on the basis of volume of mounts cut alone, I just don't think that is how it needs to work. There are a few local photographers who are likely to be interested, but I will have to beat their existing suppliers on price. No big deal, but price driven stuff is not my primary market. Of course there is a market for some fancy, or novelty mounts, but it's very low volume and primarily one off jobs. Names cut into mounts is probably a good thing to do, but it would have to be priced to tempt enough buyers.

I think that the primary reason for getting a CMC is for stunning presentation high mark-up jobs, such thick mounts with multiple v-grooves, stunning mounts on art displayed for sale and a level of presentation which marks you out as a top class framer. Multi-aperture mounts is something which I intend to promote as a specific speciality and I will offer CMC mountcutting to other local framers, which would be good for both them and myself. I do a far amount of hand finished framing and I can see some particular ways into which CMC capabilities could be part of this too!

Also a CMC should give me a lot more potential for creativity and presentation, together with a lower labour input and will also enhance my profits on other aspects of framing, because the standard of presentation to overall jobs will justify premium prices and attract more business. I expect to be able to improve my delivery times significantly as well. I think that this will be interesting time of learning new tricks and ideas.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Hi Mark

I’d probably say don’t try too much too soon. Get to know the machine which really means the software. The Gunnar software is very good so you’ll pick up the basics quickly.

The first thing you can do is the little things, a rounded corner, a double mount around a title box, a v groove, little touches that can make a big difference but with subtlety. Multi apertures can be a pleasure, so easy and so quick.

Then it’s a case of deciding where you want to go with it. The machine will open up all sorts of new opportunities. If you want to get creative, and that’s the bit I like, have a play, but don’t go over the top, very subjective I know, make samples and show them off, in the window, in your marketing. People need to see what you can do.

Personally I’d avoid volume stuff, very competitive and low margins. Try and offer something different to set you apart, combine it with the hand finishing for a unique product, what that might be I haven’t a clue.

Good luck.
David.
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Should have mentioned earlier that the VW Camper design is courtesy of The Valiani Support Group. As far as I know this is the only CMC manufacturer to have a dedicated UK support group who also happen to be forum members.

When I bought my Valiani the importer was 10 miles up the road and at the time that was important to me. You have Merlin not far from you so I wonder why you have your heart set on the Gunnar.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Support is very important I am lucky to have Trucut less than a mile away.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

Gunnar has two full time employees in the Country and both post on the forum. I have been impressed with the support and back up, even on a Saturday afternoon when I wasn't expecting anything till Monday. This service was a major reason I went for the Gunnar and they have not disappointed far from it in fact.
Not your average framer

Jonny2morsos wrote:You have Merlin not far from you so I wonder why you have your heart set on the Gunnar.
No offence to Merlin, but I chose the F1 Hybrid because I liked the machine, the software interface and the fact that I don't need to change heads ever!

Initially it will do everything that I want straight out of the box and I don't need any optional extras, or add-ons to do absolutely everything I need to do. Sorted!

I have seen the Valliani in action and I'm sure that it is a good product, but I have also seen the Gunnar and it perfectly provides exactly what I need at every level.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer