Using GIMP to fix photographs

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Using GIMP to fix photographs

Post by pramsay13 »

I've seen a few people mentioning that bendy frames, not rectangular etc can be sorted on GIMP but I haven't seen any instructions.
I've had a play about with the crop and perspective tools but it looks a lot worse.
Any step by step help would be appreciated.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: Using GIMP to fix photographs

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Step One - buy Photoshop Elements.

Step Two - Go to Image>Transform>Skew

Step Three - Take hold of the grab handles and move until a rectangle is formed.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

sounds more like lens distortion than perspective distortion that you haveing trouble with

I dont know gimp well, but what you looking for is a barrel distortion adjustment

it will concave or convex the frame lines to straighten

but i cant help with what its called in gimp, its called lens correction in photoshop though
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Thanks Jonny. I use Linux so I can't buy Photoshop even if I wanted to.
Cheers stcstc, there is a lens distortion option in GIMP so it was the phrase that I needed.
I'll play about with it and see how I get on.
Anyone got any tips for using it?
Cheers
samorost
Organisation: Framers Corner
Interests: Indian nose flute
Flugelhorn
Bagpipes

Post by samorost »

Mesh Warp etc in PS CS5 etc are great if you have a regular or even distortion to correct but for irregular or uneven distortion you might find the liquify menu works better, liquify 'push' in particular. If you haven't got, or don't want PS CS5 you will find similar tools in GIMP in the IWarp toolbox. I'm not too sure about GIMP having only used it a handful of times, but if its anywhere near as good as PS CS5 it will easily do the job.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Stand a bit further away when you take the photo. If you have a zoom lens, don't go lower than about 50mm.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

just adding to this a bit late - as a paid photoshop user, a while back I discovered paint.net and several plugins that suit this application.
there is a one-click paint.net mesh-warp plugin that does exactly what you need.
first of all PhotoShop Elements (elephants) is not for commecial use. use that at your own peril.
Photoshop is a lump of money.... I have it. Not a pirate version either. ....and not wanting to bitch about the expense of photoshop and upgradng my older photoshop for a 64bit compatible (W7) version, I tried gimp and gimpshop, I'm now won over by paint.net (of course you can use photoshop elements, but not for commercial use)
Pant.Net is a programme well worth looking at - in particular for the photoshop-style plugins.
seriously peeps, do have a look at paint.net alongside gimp if you are looking for a photoshop alternative.
http://www.getpaint.net/ you'll be very surprised once you start investigating the plugins. Awesome programme.
I use photoshop, and Gimp, paintshop pro, and corel, all paid for - but paint.net blows them out of the water, and it's freeware.
I was so pleassed with it that I donated, and rarely use anything else nowadays.
:shock:
my photos are still shyte though......