Does anyone still use a fax machine?

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Does anyone still use a fax machine?

Post by Not your average framer »

My fax machine sits langishing and gathering dust in the corner. Is there any point in keeping it, just in case, or is it time to dump it?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Re: Does anyone still use a fax machine?

Post by Graysalchemy »

I'm going to put mine on ebay it still works :giggle: :giggle:

I gave up using it when a client learn't how to use email. :giggle:
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Yes, I'm the proud owner of a fax machine, 8) and 6 years ago thrown out to the garage as junk, then had to fax copies of paper work for something I think HMRC, would except fax as evidence but not email so retrieved it at it sometimes gets used, also if you book an apartment in Rome they would only except a fax and that was this year.

Invented in 1843 and still useful today, it was a fax machine that enabled the Daily Express to be published in Manchester and London the same night.

You never know when it will come in useful !! even for a quick copy of something.

Ian

ps: why is it that anyone using a phone without a cable attached seems to walk about talking, if you don't believe me just watch people
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

We dumped ours a few years back and sometimes I do regret it. There are occasions when something could be sent by fax but we end up scanning and emailing which is time consuming.

I do alot of custom mounts and it would be easier for customers to fax a sketch but I usually end up with camera phone pictures which are not always easy to work with.

I would hold on to it.
Tim
Organisation: Deepwell Framing
Interests: Photography, Growing it, Cooking it, Eating it. Sauvignon Blanc. Syrah.

Post by Tim »

Whenever I'm asked for a fax number on any web registration page, I always put 'Sorry - didn't do history at school, what's a fax ?' :)

I don't have a telex machine, a morse telegraph, or a rotary dial analogue telephone either....... :lol:
Youth and experience are no match for age and treachery...
prospero

Post by prospero »

Who can remember the footie results on the TV of a Saturday afternoon?

....clickyclickyclickyPortsmouthclickyclickyclicky2clickyclickyclickyNottsclickyForestclickyclickyclickyNILclickyclickyclicky..... :lol:

I used to have a FAX machine. Brought it off a chap who insisted on calling it a fassymile machine. Started getting a lot of junk faxes overnight. Reams of paper on the floor of a morning. Got fairly expensive on rolls.

One night it jammed, but they still kept coming. Self-destructed. Tried mending it, but without success so I thought bollox and chucked it out. Never missed it.

The End.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
johnwphotography
Organisation: swadlincote
Interests: local history, industrial archaeology, landscape and walking

Post by johnwphotography »

Three years ago whilst in the process of a house purchase deadline there was an imminent postal strike. The solicitors secretary faxed the reams of paperwork through, was I glad I had a fax machine. Only used it once since, mind.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

johnwphotography wrote:Three years ago whilst in the process of a house purchase deadline there was an imminent postal strike. The solicitors secretary faxed the reams of paperwork through, was I glad I had a fax machine...
That's typically when the need arrises... Legal documents with signatures required.

We still have a fax machine in the shop and one in my home office. Neither gets the use that they used to just 10 years ago, and I dropped the dedicated line to the house fax. I will still hang onto both until scanning and attaching gets easier.

How about a typewriter? I still have two that we use for envelope addressing. The one at the shop is sticking and I'm wondering where in the world would I take it today for servicing? :giggle:

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

I've a fax machine that is also a telphone, but set it aside when we bought a four pack of walk around the house phones. It now sits in the garage on top of.... a video player.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks for your replies. My fax machine is still gathering dust, but I guess I'll keep it a while longer, just in case I find that I need it one day.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
jamiesuds
Organisation: Leith Framing Studio Ltd
Interests: Classic Cars, Winter sports.

Post by jamiesuds »

We use ours all the time, I have one in each of my 3 premises and use it to order mouldings, send diagrams between the shops and the workshop, we can even send coloured faxes to each other thats right, the humble fax can now send in glorious technicolour. Anyhoo, they double up as scanners and inkjet printers too, but the workshop one gets used weekly and we haven't had a sales fax for years, well, not untill I posted this :?
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Just today I regretted getting rid of the fax as I had to send some copies of documents urgently.

I decided to scan them thinking I would have to download to photoshop and reduce the file size on each one before I could send.
To my amazement I was offered the option of scanning and saving as PDF files. The scanner is just a cheapo Hewlett Packard Scanner/Printer/Copier and I was not aware the scanner could do this and I am sure it hasn't offered the option before. HP do regularly invite me to update my software online and I think this feature must have been added so I am glad I have kept it up to date.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

on the Epson scan software you can save your scan as a multi page PDF, which you can export directly as a email, also you can ask any windows machine to export directly as a fax , .