Sat-Nav

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Sat-Nav

Post by John »

On a recent visit to the Midlands I managed to get lost/take the wrong turning/fail to take the right turning, several times every day. This has convinced me that I absolutely must gave SatNav.

Are there any points to look out for when choosing such a system?

Any recommendations?
uniqueframer

Post by uniqueframer »

I have tried and well tested three sat nav systems The tom tom go, Satman and am now using the Road angel this incorperates safty camara information for ease of use I would go fot the Tom TOm or the Road angle. Hope this helps :shock:
Many Thanks

Martin
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hey John
All the way from Cornwall right to the door step of the NEC. Not one wrong turning.

I use the MIO A201 with Tom Tom 5 installed.

I went for a PDA because if doubles up as a computer, complete with address book. Handy for finding those Post Codes, all in the same box.
Using BlueTooth it is also a mobile phone.
It even surfs the net and emails for me..

I have tried the 'stand alone' SatNavs, but there was just too much to carry around. The MIO is all in one and the same price, too boot

I believe it has been superceeded by the A301.

I would not be without it now.

Would not be without it..
John GCF
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Sorry, I meant to tag this on the end

http://www.mio-tech.be/en/gps-navigatio ... erview.htm
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

My wife is the worlds worst map reader - she hates gadgets - but loves the Tomtom 300. This model has been superceded and the new model has a wider screen.

In my opinion sat nav gets 10/10 - but don't use shortest route - you just wont believe what map makers define as road suitable for a motor vehicle. If I go from my house in Didmarton to the nearby market town of Malmesbury by shortest route it takes me down the Fosseway - now on much of this Roman road its metalled, but! lots of its a byway - used by 4x4 drivers - not by my Zafira. Stick to fastest route and you will have no problems.
mick11

Post by mick11 »

I had a minor stroke a few years ago and had dreadful problems finding my way round. Maps just confused the issue.

Having spent 3 hours lost in Manchester (Went past Gmex 5 times) then getting hopelessly lost on a relatively short trip due to roadworks, and having to phone the wife to get me travelling in the right direction, I bought one of the first TomTom Go's.

My first long trip was from East Yorkshire to Ally Pally in London, it took me door to door, despite my route in London being totally cocked up due to a shooting.

My next long trip involved 11 days working in Scotland in different location each day. Up the west coast, across the top, then down the east coast back to Yorkshire.

I still use my original TomTom and in three years it has never let me down. I always have it set to fastest route.
Shortest route will take you down cart tracks and through farm yards :shock:

Best thing since sliced bread
Mick
-----------------------------------------
The impossible I can do today,
Miracles take a little longer
---------------------------------------
Caz755

Post by Caz755 »

My Dad uses his Tom Tom (6 i think) on his PDA for his work as a Private Investigator....obviously this job takes him all over the place and locations can be changed at any given moment.....he swears by it.

I've got a much smaller set up, Tom Tom mobile 3, (I havent bought the new software yet)....goes on a large enough (1gb) memory card which fits in my mobile phone, hooks up via bluetooth to a GPS receiver and works in exactly the same way as the bigger ones plugged into your car. Only far less wires, receiver is about the size of a large matchbox and of course my mobile phone goes everywhere with me!

Mine took me up to 'do a job' with Dad in Lincolnshire, right to where he was located and all the way home without any trouble. :)
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

whatever happens, get one with the camera locations in it.
i have a dataool inforad on my Ninja-6 and still a clean license.
enough said ;)

touch wood etc
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Not quite true Kev......

On my way to the NEC trade show on Sunday 4th Feb....
With an up to date (so I thought) Sat Nav and camera positions.
I got caught by a GATSO on the A30 at Tedburn, St Mary.

£60 plus 3 points Thankyou very much.....

The up to date camera locator didnt even know it was there.
But then again as law abiding citizen's we should not need alerting to speed camera's should we??????????

On the way back... A new windscreen....
John GCF
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Merlin Framers wrote:Not quite true Kev......

On my way to the NEC trade show on Sunday 4th Feb....
With an up to date (so I thought) Sat Nav and camera positions.
I got caught by a GATSO on the A30 at Tedburn, St Mary.

£60 plus 3 points Thankyou very much.....

The up to date camera locator didnt even know it was there.
But then again as law abiding citizen's we should not need alerting to speed camera's should we??????????

On the way back... A new windscreen....
expensive trip john :(
Indeed, as law abiding citizens we should, naturally, not need alerting to speed cameras, oh no. cough.
Naturally one only has such a device because the camers are invariably only located in known accident hotspots, hence one does need a reminder that one is entering an area of....erm...

ah.. you know.. Wossaname. Thingy. such as... yes, indeed. waffle, waffle... Just as one only overtakes so that one can have a clearer view of the road ahead. And naturally, one only rides a motorcycle to ease congestion. Why else would bikers put up with the silly clothes that make you look like the offspring of robocop and freddie mercury.

Is there an emoticon with a halo ;)

I suppose the way round it is to drive a white van with polish number plates, they seem to be immune :shock:
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi John
So from your other thread.
Are you going for a stand a lone SATNAV or a PDA type.

Just being nosey
John GCF
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

My brother is certain that what I want is one with Bluetooth, and he has a mate who knows someone who has a Garmin, and they thinks it's great. You know how it goes. :)

So I've been looking at the NUVI 360T, £299.96 online, £329 in store (PC World)

It's all a bit bewildering.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Nothing wrong with Garmin's. I tried one out a few years back.

Just a passing thought. With you now starting to meander the UK. A single package PDA. Windows based, internet, emails, bluetooth etc PLUS Sat Nav would maybe be a better option.
John GCF
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

I would not be without my Tom Tom 700.Cost £320 in May 06. And it makes the phone hands free which is very useful.
Good in Europe - but have discovered chunks of Southern Ireland, and parts of Brittany are missing from its memory. E-mails to Tom Tom go unanswered. :x

Keith
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
The Tabmaster

Post by The Tabmaster »

Having worked in the vehicle tracking/sat-nav industry for a number of years previously, I found that it all depends on how much you're prepared to pay. I use a Smart-Nav with touch screen from Trafficmaster. Its a built in system, so you can't carry it around anywhere, however, it has voice guidance and the screen shows you which way to turn, eta's etc, however, not in 3d like some of the hand helds.

The unique feature is that it auto updates (no getting stuck on new roads!) has a static speed camera detection option, which also auto-updates, and my favourite feature, the live traffic avoidance. I can't tell you how much this has saved me from Jams travelling around the country, however as I said it is a bit pricey!

I have also used all manor of other navs. You need to consider, ease of use too. For example, you dont need to be going around fiddling with the pen and screen if you are prone to re-routes while you are driving using a PDA version like some like Navman.

Tom-Tom is proving to be a big hit though, with its touch screen and optional bluetooth phone kit, but remember if you need to carry it around with you when you've parked its rather bulky!!!

My advise is to see what works for you in the budget you have set yourself.

Try www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk for some good ranges at decent prices.

Tim
Tabmaster UK are a supplier to framing industry worldwide. We offer a wide range of framing supplies and machinery. Including the inovative "Quickmate" Canvas stretching tool. See us at www.tabmaster.co.uk
John
Site Admin

Post by John »

I have taken John's (Merlin) advice and gone with a PDA with inbuilt global positioning, the Mio P550. Now I just have to learn how to use it by Tuesday!

Thanks Tim for recommending www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk - reasonable prices, free delivery, and although they said to allow 3-5 days, it arrived this morning even though it was ordered just yesterday morning.

We still haven't decided what to get for our other car, it looks like a toss-up between Garmin and Tom Tom.