Creating Youtube videos

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Creating Youtube videos

Post by Not your average framer »

I have been thinking about the possibility of creating one, or two Youtube videos to demonstrate some handfinishing techniques.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know much about what equipment or software I would need to be able to do this. Could someone give me some clues about this?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Re: Creating Youtube videos

Post by Merlin »

Google ! " how to create a you tube video"
John GCF
Mary
Organisation: Portra
Interests: painting

Post by Mary »

A compact camera with video mode is perfectly adequate for youtube, and then you need some software for editing it, cutting the sequences together, adding titles, music or whatever you wish, and compressing the end result so it doesn't take all century to upload. The software I use is Ulead Videostudio 11 which seems to do pretty much everything & is easy to learn. It includes a licence to use the various music tracks which is very handy if you want to 'monetize' the video :wink:

I for one would be very interested to see your handfinishing videos so i hope you make them
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

if you have Window vista or 7 it comes with movie maker, type live essentials in the start search bar , it will give you a download tool, pretty easy to use.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks to all who have posted so far. I've already looked at the how to guides, but I don't know what sort of camera I would need to do this, or how much it is likely to cost.

Since I would need to record an audio dialogue as part of the video, does this mean an expensive digital video camera with a built in microphone (probably costing hundreds of pounds), or can I use something cheaper such as a USB web cam?

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've got one of these which will upload a vid direct to youtube, not 'hundreds of pounds' even new, but as has been said, a compact digital camera with video mode is adequate.
Not your average framer

Thanks John,

That looks very interesting! Does it record sound and video? Also is there a connector for an external microphone and a screw hole for a tripod?

The description doesn't tell you these things.

Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yes it records sound and video, so does my compact digital camera, so did the first one I ever bought and so does my mobile phone, which is out of the ark!

It has a tripod mount (so does my compact digital camera and so did the first one I ever bought .......) but I don't know about an external mic facility- it has an AV socket, an HDMI socket and a USB socket, so something could no doubt be rigged, but the built-in mic is so sensitive I can't imagine why I'd need one.
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

You are spoilt for choice as regards cameras and they are all extremely good value now. I have seen some very impressive video's shot just with a smart phone. I have also watched a webinar on how to film with the smart phone and the sound was quite good just using the phone mic.

I was interested to hear about the editing software and will now be having a look at the Win 7 software to see what it does.

Probably the first thing is to work out what you want to do, then time how long it takes and you can do that without a camera. Looking forward to seeing the results of your cinematographic journey. Have fun.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

you can record the audio after the video

if you get the right video software, you can play the video back and record a voice over

you can also insert still images in the timeline then add the voice

you could just use a decent webcam and a headset with microphone.

what i would suggest though is even with the best camera to create a good video you need more light than a normal room, and more importantly lots of prep and planning

i used to work in the post production industry, the golden rule would be

for 1 min of video, you shoot 1 hr, and prep for approx 4hrs (storyboarding, testing, prepping etc)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That's all for this week folks; next week, how to construct box girder bridges and how to reconcile the Taliban and the Christian world.