USB keyboard issues

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

USB keyboard issues

Post by Not your average framer »

I've recently had to replace my keyboard after part of a cup of tea getting knocked over and into the keyboard. Unfortunately the replacement keyboard is a USB keyboard instead of a PS2 keyboard. However I pluged it in, it worked and I assumed that was the problem solved.

A few days later minor weird things started happening all aparently unrelated to the keyboard, program would not start, internet access failed and then the computer stopped recogising the keyboard and the mouse. After this the computer said it had found new hardware and reinstalled the keyboard and the mouse. Almost immediately the computer said that a USB device had failed.

I swapped keyboards between my two computers and both computers worked perfectly, but now after a few days the same weird things have started with the other computer, which I have solved by pluging the dead keyboard into the PS2 keyboard socket and the continuing to use the USB keyboard.

Both myself and the computer shop cannot understand why an apparently good keyboard should interfere with functions not related to the keyboard, or the hardware interface to the keyboard. The USB keyboard driver is the standard windows driver and no other driver has been needed. I have ordered a USB to PS2 keyboard connector converter to see if this makes any difference.

I would be grateful to anyone who can shed any light upon this.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
stcstc

Re: USB keyboard issues

Post by stcstc »

some computers have a setting in the bios for usb keyboard support

doesnt sound like thats the issue but might be worth checking

what operating system is it, and is it a decent brand keyboard (so it has a proper windows signed driver
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

There is no specific bios setting for USB keyboards on either computer as far as I can tell, but the the USB ports are otherwise configurable in the bios as either PCI or something else which I can't remenber.

The keyboard is made by Bazoo and it's is compatible with all windows systems from XP onwards.

My operating system is Windows XP Professional.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

This keyboard does not need a dedicated driver, but uses a existing universal driver which is included in the normal windows operating system. I am suspicious that this problem may in some way involve the functionality available in the bios system, but that's about as far as my thinking goes.

I don't fancy updating the bios myself as if anything goes wrong, the machine will never boot up again. I'd rather leave this to an expert and not take risks myself.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I've bought a USB to PS2 cable adaptor which I am now using on my home 'puter. I've still got problems on the shop 'puter although I've taken the PS2 keyboard from the home 'puter to use on the shop 'puter.

I think I'll get a new 'puter after Christmas and get a big hammer for the old one. :xcomputer:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer