How much memory?

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

How much memory?

Post by Not your average framer »

Both of my desktop computers appear to be in need of more memory. Over time various automatic updates to various programs have either slowed things down, or in the case of a skype update, an update stopped the program from running correctly at all. All the indications suggest that I need more RAM.

So my question is how much memory do I really need to run Windows XP to a satisfactory level on my two IBM compatible machines. One is running a 2 Ghz celleron proccessor and the other is running a 2.6 Ghz pentium processor.

I was thinking about going for a total of 1 Gig of RAM in each machine. Any comments / advice?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: How much memory?

Post by IFGL »

Hi Mark

If your machines are 32 bit, that maximum the OS can use is 3 gig, ram is really cheap
,I just put a extra 4 gig in one of mine and it cost £11 put in as much as you can.

Do you ever do a disk clean up or a defrag ?

Scan computers are excellent, just built a quad core 3.6GHz with 8g of ram for £300
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

1gig isnt enough for the OS, they are both 32 bit machines

so max 3 gig

but to tell you the truth i think it wont make a huge difference. soooooo many performance changes since the structure of those machines means your kinda pouring money into a bottomless pit

you would be better investing in a newer machine, it would be money well worth spending
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I concur, new machines would be better.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Snap. I had an IBM machine then a Vaio laptop and no amount of stripping stuff out and defragging made it speed up. In the end it was far quicker and cheaper to ditch it for a new machine. We made the leap to a "proper" computer and bought a mac. Never looked back. Oh and for windows stuff, I have just purchased and loaded "parallels" which is great, meaning I can have the Excel pricer open at the same time as Photoshop etc.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

IFGL wrote:
Scan computers are excellent, just built a quad core 3.6GHz with 8g of ram for £300
Would be interested in your shopping list if you can be bothered posting
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

It was one of these bundles, a cheap case, psu,500g hdd, and a card reader.

The machine only has to run PS and custom framer software so the on board gpu will be fine.
I think it came to £286 including VAT,I can get W7 Pro for £26 and I already have a spare 22" monitor

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?Syst ... egoryID=41
prospero

Post by prospero »

I found on my old XP machine that if you get near a 80% full HD, things slow down dramatically. I think the processor uses spare HD space as reserve memory if it gets a bit strapped.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thanks for the advice guys. Eventually I want to get a couple of new machines, with the latest operating systems, etc. However we've just spent the last few days completely re-organising the shop and I'm too busy getting things straight again, to be thinking about transferring files from old machines to new machines at this time. Right now, I'll settle for a quick fix by adding more memory!

We have (at last) moved all the existing benches, plan chest and equipment around, which means that we will soon have space ready for a CMC. Which will be a good time to get a state of the art computer.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Big problem with computers is the virtual monoply Microsoft has over operating systems. Every computer I have owned (PC i.e. Microsoft based) has slowed down after a few years and has had to be replaced. Each new version of their operating system requires more memory and faster processors and so the cycle continues.

Never hear this problem from Mac users!

Users are deterred from changing to Macs mostly, I believe, due to infamiliarity with the operating system but probably more because of the higher price.

A few more players in the market required.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I have a couple of g4 power macs, compared to todays pcs these are garbage, you need to clean up your drives from time to time, programs get fragmented making it harder for you pc to find the bits, fragment once a month, but just like everything things move on, upgrades are necessary.

Macs are great for beginners but are no different to a pc save the software, wich I personally think is overly simplified, I would now never buy another apple, a massive waste of money IMHO, and the have very poor human rights policys.

And try running your cmc from one.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

[quote="IFGL"}And try running your cmc from one.[/quote]

It can be done using Parallels but it is not straightforward.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

And what a waste of resorted any small gain in efficiency over W7 is lost having to run emulators and such, I do not see what roll the mac has, I had to constantly boot into windows, run emulators it's far less hassle just to run windows.

I ran ubuntu linux for a time linux (still have one machine at home) which is great and runs on the same.Unix base as mac, but ultimately has the same problems.

I have a total of 9 machines at the moment not counting tabs, 2 Macs 1 linux and 6 windows 7, windows runs my business, visulizations and rip software, the macs look pretty on my desks but don't get turned on.
Linux box is a home internet browser and I like to mess with it when I get time.

With my last build I was going to do a hackintosh, but then couldn't be arsed, that is when I realised just how bad the macs are, the challenge was pointless.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Not a Mac fan then? :lol: but seriously the move to Mac for me was because i am not computer builder nor want to be, but I got fed up with Microsoft when it moved from XP to Vista, then Windows 7 and now Windows 8. I moved from XP to Windows 7 and NOTHING of my software would work on it. Printer Drivers did not work, I could not load Office 2003 onto it and just got thoroughly pissed off. The desktop sits in the loft unused.

Macs make each system upgrade compatible with the last so you can keep running software that you have. I bought Office for Mac 2011 which worked pretty well, until the inevitable patches were automatically downloaded from Microsoft. Now it takes up to a minute "thinking time" and the forums have recognised this issue and suggested parallels - which is where I went. Its early days but speeds are instantaneous again on my macro driven workbooks.

For the CMC I use a vista machine but it is stand alone and so not affected by upgrades or the internet. Much safer to have a cheap windows stand alone machine for a CMC

I also think Photoshop in mac format is easier and printer setups were pages less.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Xp programs do work on W7 and Vista, just run in compatibility mode,

The new version of osx is not compatible with my I1 software this would have cost me another £600