And now for something completely different

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

And now for something completely different

Post by fusionframer »

As I have mentioned previously, I am a joiner as well as picture framing. I was a picture framer first, but after making frames as big 14 feet by 12 feet, it gave me the excuse to buy some woodworking machines (not that I needed much of an excuse to buy them).

As a result, I plan my week to fit in framing and joinery work. I enjoy both and get to make some interesting things.

However, I have a job to do (fitting in whenever I have free time) which I have to say, I never thought I would be asked to do. I am cleaning, tidying up, fixing a bit and refinishing a Saudi Arabian castle door.

It will take some time as i need to get into all the carving, but it I am looking forward to working on it.
20171215_221737.jpg
20171215_221737.jpg (6.31 MiB) Viewed 6600 times
I will post the outcome when finished.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: And now for something completely different

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Nick,

I think that we both like doing the same sort of things. Like you, I don't need much excuse to buy woodworking machinery and tools. I've always loved craftmanship, whether it be my own, or someone elses. As you have probably already noticed, I am currently buying various bits of machinery and will be getting my own woodworking and joinery workshop into operation after Christmas.

Being an ex-engineer, I like jigs and bits and pieces that I can make to extend the range of things that I will be able to make and sell. It sounds like you've got a really great project on your hands and I'm looking forward to hear how it's going as time goes on.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Nick :D

Very best of luck with the renovation project. Can't wait to see the end result.

You know what they say "when one door closes........." :giggle:

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Peter
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Thanks guys,

I am looking forward to working on it. I am not going to go over the top, as i want to keep it looking original. There gave been some repairs that have been badly done, so those will be sorted.

What is really good is that I can go in to do some when I have free time so I can fit it around all other jobs.

January is already pretty tight, with 2 driveway gates in western red cedar and an oak door as well as a number of hand finished frame. Then I am onto sash windows in February. This works well as generally I am quieter with framing work in the first couple of months of the year.

I am going in for a couple of days to work on the door between Christmas and New year.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
red
Organisation: none
Interests: woodwork

Post by red »

i always find my way back to wood, woodturning, walking sticks
and now picture framing , my first job was a bricklayer/mason working
with wood was seen as the enemy back in those days!
i put working with wood as being in my dna!
good luck with the project
ARworx
Organisation: ARworx
Interests: Art, wodwork, mosaic, reading

Post by ARworx »

[quote="fusionframer"][/quote]

You are lucky to have this door in your workshop and to have a chance to work on it.

Unfortunately in the middle east they repair this precious antiques in a savage way just like repairing any furniture or new doors.

Sometimes I'm asked to repair antiques but when i give an estimate for time they refuse and this is because I refuse to use new glue in any antiques and prefer to work with the traditional animal fat glue.

Waiting to see how it will look like and hope for more details about the paint you used :)