AI/ChatGpt

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

AI/ChatGpt

Post by vintage frames »

We are constantly being told to beware of the advance of AI etc.
Is all this a bit of promotional hype or is there really something to fear?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: AI/ChatGpt

Post by StevenG »

Good question! A proper reply would need a bit more than a comment on an internet framing forum though.

For me AI is a tool, I don't believe it'll replace my job, it's good at tasks that it's been trained on but not really at full jobs. But at the rate the technology is advancing it's hard to say if/when that may happen. ChatGPT is incredible but it's just been trained on conversation, it couldn't make you a cup of tea or put your washing away, I'm sure it could give you some very good tips on both tasks. We use ChatGPT fairly regularly and Midjourney has proven to quite useful.

If people want to fear something then it would probably Artificial general intelligence - that's a whole different scale of "intelligence"

At the moment AI is fairly regulated and anyone involved in the industry are huge supporters of this and many of the limitations are by design.

The Spinning Jenny was once considered the end of mankind
vintage frames

Post by vintage frames »

Fascinating you use Chatgpt.
Can I ask what you find it useful for?
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Sure, I use it for social media posts and sometimes I use it instead of a search engine when I want a specific answer and I don't want to trawl through loads of resources (I use the public free version btw - it's only been trained on data up to 2021)

We're going to redecorate the shop soon & we're unsure on colour schemes/decor etc etc. A quick chat, tell it we're a picture framing shop with various framed work on the wall etc etc. Tell it what overall look/theme you're trying to achieve and it'll provide colours/complimentary colours and layout ideas suiting to picture framing. Ask it to explain the choices and it will.

I used to work in software development and I still dabble - just as a hobby btw. If I'm struggling with something I can just tell it what I've having an issue with and the results I get and it usually tells me where I'm going wrong & if I still don't 'get' it I can simply just ask it to explain the answer as if I'm a 6 year old and usually works :lol:

It has made a few mistakes though - that has happened but if you simply just ask it to double check something and say where it got the data.

Social media posts - it's very good at getting the message across, even if I'm not sure on what points I would need to mention, I can say something like "I want to create a new Facebook post to create more interaction and awareness but I'm not sure what to say, can you ask me 10 questions that would be important and then create the post for me?" I never just copy & paste the results but 80-90% is exactly what I'm looking for. It understands conversation 'flow' so each time I type I don't need to explain everything over and over. For example, once it gives me something from my previous question I could just say "that's great, thanks but is can you add/remove something about xyz". I know you don't have to be polite with 'it' but I can't help myself :)

You can talk to it all day - even ask the same question over and over, it'll never get bored, in fact it will try it's best to help you understand whatever you're asking. Obviously, it truly doesn't really 'understand' the conversation but you'd never know, it doesn't have opinions and it'll happily tell you that, but again you can ask it behave as a philosopher. I've honestly had some of the most interesting conversations with it on many an evening.

Anyway, it's a tool and that's the way I use it. There are loads of nonsense out there about chatgpt, all of Skynet stuff that you see is just impossible and you can't 'retrain' it's core, sure you can do things inside any current 'chat' but outside of that all it's data is good
vintage frames

Post by vintage frames »

Thanks StevenG. That's very interesting.
My own understanding of AI/Chatgpt is that it is a very good processor and compiler of what is already available on the internet.
I'll have to give it a go.

My own experience of researching on Google etc is to find how shallow the level of data or knowledge available really is. That's obviously not the fault of Ai but of the standard of knowledge people choose to make available.
When you do go deep you often find yourself in a 'rabbit hole' of academic papers written by people who would be surprised if anyone ever got round to reading them.

Perhaps Chatgpt could sift through and make sense of what is available.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I would say that there is a real danger in the advancement of AI, but it is not as simple as saying that AI is going to destroy the world. There are a number of potential dangers, but they can be mitigated if we are careful.

Some of the potential dangers of AI include:

Job displacement: AI is already being used to automate a number of jobs, and this trend is likely to continue. This could lead to widespread unemployment and social unrest.
Weaponization: AI could be used to create autonomous weapons that could kill without human intervention. This is a major concern for many people, and it is one of the reasons why there is a growing movement to ban autonomous weapons.
Bias: AI systems are trained on data, and if that data is biased, then the system will be biased as well. This could lead to discrimination against certain groups of people.
Loss of control: AI systems are becoming increasingly complex, and it is becoming more difficult for humans to understand how they work. This could lead to a situation where we lose control of AI systems, and they could start to make decisions that are harmful to us.
These are just some of the potential dangers of AI. It is important to be aware of these dangers so that we can take steps to mitigate them. We need to make sure that AI is developed and used in a responsible way, and that we have safeguards in place to prevent it from being used for harmful purposes.

As for the question of whether this is all a bit of promotional hype, I think it is important to be skeptical of any claims that AI is going to solve all of our problems. AI is a powerful tool, but it is not a magic bullet. It can be used for good or for evil, and it is up to us to decide how it is used.
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

Here are some specific things that a picture framer should watch out for in terms of AI taking over:

The use of AI-powered tools: AI-powered tools are becoming increasingly common in the picture framing industry. These tools can be used to automate tasks such as measuring, cutting, and mounting artwork. While these tools can save time and money, they also pose a risk of job loss for picture framers.

The development of AI-powered art: AI is also being used to create art. AI-powered art can be created in a variety of ways, such as using algorithms to generate images or using machine learning to create paintings. While AI-powered art can be impressive, it also raises concerns about the potential for AI to replace human artists.

The use of AI for marketing and sales: AI is also being used for marketing and sales in the picture framing industry. AI can be used to target potential customers with personalized advertising, to predict customer demand, and to optimize pricing. While AI can be a powerful tool for marketing and sales, it also raises concerns about the potential for AI to exploit customers.

Overall, the advance of AI poses both risks and opportunities for picture framers. It is important for picture framers to be aware of these risks and opportunities in order to adapt to the changing landscape of the industry.

Here are some specific things that picture framers can do to protect themselves from AI taking over:

Upskill: Picture framers should upskill and learn new skills that will be in demand in the future. This could include learning how to use AI-powered tools, learning how to create AI-powered art, or learning how to use AI for marketing and sales.

Network: Picture framers should network with other picture framers and with people in the AI industry. This will help them to stay up-to-date on the latest trends in AI and to find opportunities to collaborate with AI experts.

Be proactive: Picture framers should be proactive in adapting to the changing landscape of the industry. This could involve investing in AI-powered tools, creating AI-powered art, or using AI for marketing and sales.

By taking these steps, picture framers can help to ensure that they are prepared for the future of the industry and that they can continue to thrive in the face of AI.
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

vintage frames wrote: Tue 23 May, 2023 1:32 pm

Perhaps Chatgpt could sift through and make sense of what is available.

You've got it, it's good at taking in all the available content and delivering it in a way that's mostly easier to digest, as it's computational based it can analyse many different scenarios, compare data. Think of it like it's any other computer system and the chat is just the front end,
vintage frames

Post by vintage frames »

Thank you pramsay13 for a well-considered contribution.

From what I can see, ChatGpt is limited to what is already available on-line. It doesn't know any more than we do. It's just a useful tool for dragging all the information together as related to a particular topic.
If mankind doesn't know the answer, then neither does ChatGpt.

As regards to AI, then there will always be people that will marvel at and want to embrace the utility with great enthusiasm.
It will be the next BIG THING>
Don't we all miss those halcyon days when the nice lady in Mumbai was able to fix our BT broadband.
Or when we wouldn't need to buy anymore toys from China because 3D printers would make all that redundant.

There will always be idiots who worship more the tool than the work it can achieve.
Remember the excitement and anticipation when Windows 7 finally arrived or the launch of the iphone 4.

I think AI will be very useful in automation, more the grunt work. This is nearly always in the area of mass production and if anyone thinks it will stray into the area of art then that simply exposes their own limited appreciation of aesthetics and art.

And I'm sure someone will be able to build a machine that will produce any sort of picture-frame instantly on command.
But it will be a picture-frame in description only.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

vintage frames wrote: Mon 22 May, 2023 2:10 pm We are constantly being told to beware of the advance of AI etc.
Is all this a bit of promotional hype or is there really something to fear?
I put the OP's original question into ChatGPT and this is the response I got

The concerns surrounding the advance of AI are not merely promotional hype but are based on genuine apprehensions about the potential risks and challenges associated with this technology. While AI has the potential to bring numerous benefits and advancements to various domains, such as healthcare, transportation, and communication, there are also legitimate concerns that need to be addressed.

One of the primary concerns is related to job displacement. As AI and automation technologies continue to progress, there is a possibility that certain tasks and jobs currently performed by humans could be automated, leading to unemployment or significant changes in the job market. This could disproportionately affect certain industries or groups of people, creating socioeconomic challenges.

Another concern is the ethical implications of AI. As AI systems become more sophisticated, there is a need to ensure that they are designed and used in an ethical manner. This includes concerns about privacy, bias, transparency, and accountability. Issues such as algorithmic bias, where AI systems may inadvertently discriminate against certain groups, have already been observed in various contexts.

There are also concerns related to the potential misuse of AI technology. As AI becomes more powerful, there is a risk that it could be used for malicious purposes, such as cyber attacks, surveillance, or the creation of sophisticated disinformation campaigns. Safeguards and regulations need to be in place to prevent such misuse and protect individuals and societies.

It is worth noting that the concerns surrounding AI are not absolute doom and gloom. Many researchers, organizations, and policymakers are actively working to address these challenges and ensure the responsible development and deployment of AI. It is crucial to have a balanced approach that acknowledges both the potential benefits and risks associated with AI technology, fostering ongoing dialogue and collaboration among various stakeholders.

Make of that what you will!
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

So I then asked it 'Will I lose my job as a picture framer?'

As an AI, I cannot predict individual job outcomes with certainty. However, I can provide some general insights regarding the potential impact of AI on certain professions.

The field of picture framing may not be heavily influenced by AI and automation in the immediate future. Picture framing involves various skills that require human craftsmanship, such as selecting appropriate frames, matting, cutting, and assembling. These tasks often involve a level of creativity, customization, and attention to detail that may be challenging for AI systems to replicate.

However, it's important to recognize that automation and technological advancements can still have indirect effects on the job market. For example, advancements in online platforms and digital imaging technologies may change the way people consume and display visual content, which could have some impact on demand for traditional picture framing services.

To future-proof your career as a picture framer or in any other profession, it's beneficial to adapt and embrace new technologies and skills. Consider staying updated with industry trends, exploring ways to incorporate digital tools or online platforms into your business, and enhancing your knowledge in related areas such as digital imaging, online marketing, or e-commerce. By diversifying your skill set and remaining adaptable, you can potentially mitigate any negative effects of technological advancements and position yourself for future opportunities.

Remember, while AI and automation have the potential to reshape certain job markets, they also create new possibilities and demand for skills that complement these technologies.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
iorek
Organisation: A Picture Framing One
Interests: Sport, Art, Photography,

Post by iorek »

A couple of Yuval Harari books deal with this subject (and more) in a very illuminating and interesting way

1 - Homo Deus
2 - 21 Lessons for the 21st Century

Would also recommend Sapiens by the same author - they make a great audiobook trilogy to listen to in the workshop.
pramsay13

Post by pramsay13 »

vintage frames wrote: Wed 24 May, 2023 10:24 am Thank you pramsay13 for a well-considered contribution.
I didn't write any of it. I put your question to bard (Google's AI software).
vintage frames

Post by vintage frames »

And there was me trying to be reasonably polite in answering your response!
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

HAL (2001 A Space Odyssey):

"I know I've made some very poor decisions recently”

‘Nuff said :giggle: :D
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

It's an interesting discussion!

I see it currently as no more of a threat as Google is, and in fact many search engines have or will be using this tech as well.

The irony is I put ChatGPT up on a framing forum in march. It was mostly used for silly questions, and hasn't been as popular as I would have figured.

I personally use it to proofread and improve text for press releases or marketing material. It has some amazing results, but isn't always perfect.

https://www.thegrumble.com/forums/ask-the-ai-bot.47/

Mike
Frame shop: Get The Picture Framing RI USA
Administrator: The Picture Framers Grumble
POS & CMC comparison lists: Click Here
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Yes, it's not perfect but it gives a fantastic starting point. The latest version is much better with looking at variables and reasoning. We do use it more and more. We also have been successful in creating little prints for the shop with the text to image technology. It's a great tool for the business.
Mike@GTP
Organisation: Get The Picture Framing & Thegrumble.com
Interests: Framing, technology, electronics. Computer consultant, 3d printing enthusiast, and framer

Post by Mike@GTP »

I will be updating to a newer version in July.

Eventually, I want to add the image generation feature - which lets you basically "create art". It's kind of scary, in that sense, especially with copyright concerns.

I asked the current one a bunch of questions about the framing industry, treatments and care, etc It didn't give any wrong answers, and surprised me. It's no substitute for framer-to-framer support, of course, and is up just for "fun".

Mike
Frame shop: Get The Picture Framing RI USA
Administrator: The Picture Framers Grumble
POS & CMC comparison lists: Click Here
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

I've got a few listings on ebay. Ebay gave me the option of having AI write the description. So AI took my two-line description and presumably studied the photographs, and then wrote a whole paragraph of creative text in about 5-10 seconds. Most of it was uncannily accurate, although it varied between 100% and about 85% accurate. I must admit I was quite surprised how it only had next-to-nothing to go on, but managed to write so much. I kept the AI description for some of the items, but for others I felt the AI text was too OTT. It remains to be seen whether it has any impact on the sales, but I suspect not. I'm not sure people can be bothered reading a load of waffle, but I have to hand it to AI for creating so much out of so little.