Warning - Utilities supply scam

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Warning - Utilities supply scam

Post by Not your average framer »

Just a quick heads up about a scam concering electricity and gas supplies.

I've recently changed my electricity supplier and another utilities brokering company phoned me today telling me that my previous supplier had terminated the supply agreement with me to enable me to switch to the new supplier, but the new supplier had not taken over my account.

This I was told would means that I would end up paying very high out of contract rates and they were phoning me, because they were the supply renewals company and that I was not allowed to be using electricity without having a contract with a licenced supplier.

As it happened I decided to make a phone call and check to see if this was the true state of my electricity supply. Guess what? They lied!

I've never heard of this before, but I'm assuming that this is probably a common scam, hence the warning!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Re: Warning - Utilities supply scam

Post by Abacus »

This is a salutary lesson in scams, if anyone phones you about anything, just say "could you please put that in writing". Scammers usually don't write letters, bona fide companies do.