Paper cuts

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Paper cuts

Post by Roboframer »

No, not those horrible things you get for framing, a cut, on your finger, from paper. Could be from a bevelled aperture or, more likely, the fall out from one, I've even got them from gummed paper tape and they're almost always on a finger joint. They hurt like hell and take ages to heal, but worst of all you normally don't bleed immediately and just think "ouch" - but then, when you think it's not going to bleed, it does, all over a mount or something.

I can go a whole week with no cuts, paper or otherwise, but when it goes that good, I'll just, somehow, leak blood all over the place for no apparent reason. So I'm considering self-harming. Wharraya reckon?
Graysalchemy

Re: Paper cuts

Post by Graysalchemy »

I always end up with glass cuts, or stabbing my finger with a scalpel. As you say they don't hurt at first and you don't realise you are cut until there is a big red blog on a mount, or worse still a football shirt (no worries realy it was a City shirt). Plasters never work so either a plaster and masking tape or just masking tape does the job.

My worst framing accident (and by all accounts minor compared to some on this forum) was I once sat on my bench not realising there was a swan morton 10a on the bench below my derriere. :evil: :evil:

That wasn't a pleasant experience especially as I was on my own and it wouldn't stop bleeding, bit of blue tissue and masking tape sorted it out in the end.

See masking tape does have it use in a framing workshop after all :giggle: :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

I burned my finger sandpapering. :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I now have an elastoplast roll sitting on my table so that I can wrap up a finger quickly in the event of an injury.
I used to use the glass wiping cloth taped up with brown tape, but it looked grotesque so I think I was scaring the customers.
I used to always get them when cutting foamboard. I would run my finger down the edge as a guide for the cutting tool, and then a few hours later I would realise I had a cut on the end of my finger, and I couldn't figure out where I got it from. Now that I know I can be more careful.
That said I haven't had one for months.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I chap who I used to cut a lot of mounts for once decided to be helpful and move a pile of drop-outs. He picked them up and propped them against the bench, letting them slide though his hands.

Nasty. :?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

I use a small blob of cotton wool and masking tape. every day. I've also had a trip to a&e where I had lots of stitches in my thumb after nicking the artery when a pice of glass broke and sliced in. My chief framer took me in his car after filling the passenger footwell with the paper that comes between sheets of glass to mop up the blood !
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

funny that this thread is above the Van Damme one !!!

stiff upper lip and all that

In the words of Monty P from holy grail "tis but a scratch"
simoonez
Organisation: Dorset Framing
Interests: pasties

Post by simoonez »

This isn't quite framing related but Prospero's post reminded me.
I used to work in a lighting factory as a paint sprayer painting industrial light fittings. While I was spraying my co-sprayer was moving some sheet metal and put it down by letting it slide past his fingers. I knew nothing of it (being in the spray booth) until I turned round about 10 minutes after the event to find the workshop empty and blood everywhere. I mean all over everything. Fingers bleed a lot. He lost the tips of three fingers and lost the feeling in two more.
Can't say I've ever had anything worse than paper cuts while framing..not yet anyway.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Mount board cuts are even worse
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

I suppose it would make a bigger cut as it is a lot thicker............................. :giggle:
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

We have such a turn over of mount we store it on its side under the work bench.
Off cuts and apertues that can be used go back in the bays.
Worst paper cuts are when returning an ap and it jams on going in and you run your hand down the bevel.
The silver or gold mount boards might as well be blades. My God.

When running double sided tape onto the back of foam board stripes and you accidently run your thumb down the edge. Jeez!

BUT. The worst of all.
Using a meth based liquid for cleaning / removing static from perspex / acryic.

Highlights all cuts like a bullet ant bite.

(Oh and who uses handi wrap? the cling film stuff on a handle? Wrap the frame up go to break it off and clip the crown jewels?)
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |