How the .......

Post by Roboframer »

Heck would you mount this???
lace moth.jpg
lace moth.jpg (153.27 KiB) Viewed 24769 times
An Old Master

Re: How the .......

Post by An Old Master »

There used to be a mounting film that, when laid out under the subject and then covered with silicone release and put in the heat press, would adhere to the mounting surface of the artwork and the unwanted bit would be on the SR paper; then DM as normal. It was a Seal product, but all wildly out of date, so over to the oracle - Steve Goodall.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Very, very careful and discrete sewing. Not dissimilar to the project you did a while back Robo of that big round lace piece.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Sewing is best, but there have been times when it has been neccessary to sandwich things like that between suede mountboard and 4mm clear acrylic, to meet a customers limited budget.

As a technique, it works really well. It also looks o.k. if you add a mount and glass in front of the acrylic.

4mm acrylic is available from hareware and DIY stores, it's quite rigid and not expensive!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Putting this in after hours may have caused some suspicion - Me, Roboframer, using the wrong sub-forum? Dear me no!

It's a drawing, by my framer, Paula :shock:

About 18x18 cm
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

If you're reading this and new to framing and you don't have a clue how to mount a piece of lace please, please, please don't stick it down with any type of adhesive as Mr Bingham suggests... it's bad advice and shouldn't be touched with a bargepole.

Follow the advice that Tudor Rose has given and use discrete stitches.
this method is just as quick and easy as sticking it down and is totally reversible.
She knows what she's talking about and your customers will thank you.

the only time you might stick it down is if all the following criterias are met -
the lace is mass produced, has no value - sentimental or money, the customer is on a VERY low budget and the lace can be easily replaced or doesn't matter if its destroyed.... and only after the customer understands the dire consequences of sticking it down.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Jolly Good Framer. You are deliberately twisting what I said. I was relating a memory of a process that once existed and was used on a subject similar to that shown. Your use of exagerated emotive terms such as ' dire consequences' is simply not correct. At no point has there been any indication of the value of the subject, so your conclusions are premature to say the least. You are free to give your opinions, as am I, but unwarranted personal attacks, are, at best, unhelpful.
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

The question asked was 'How the heck would you mount this'
In answer to the question you have described a method... I can only assume that its the method that you would use and endorse...
at no point in your post did you say that it's not a mounting method you would recommend.

I apologise if you feel I have personally attacked you.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Its a drawing everyone not Lace and if Robo doesn't know how to frame it then there is no hope for him.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Why would you assume that? If it was a recommendation, believe me I would have said so. Your apology is accepted.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

Nice one Grays - I literally did LOL.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Whether it was a drawing or actually lace, I'd treat it with respect because it's not my property, I'd do as little to it as possible, starting at absolutely nothing.

Paula's next project is a ball gown made from after eight wrappers :shock:
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

That goes without saying. Can't wait to see the ball gown - but will it fit after al those after eights?
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Maybe the ball gown is for Robo :giggle:
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:Me, Roboframer, using the wrong sub-forum?
It can be moved to another forum by a moderator. Just ask.

Roboframer wrote:It's a drawing, by my framer, Paula :shock:
Ah, trick question and it's not yet 1st April. :lol:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I had a suspicion it might be one of those 'wind 'em up so I can shoot 'em down' things. It almost worked.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

My first reply was after the dry mounting idea and didn't mention it, my second reply was in reaction to Alistair's post. Never shot anyone down, or their deputy.

What worked was that everyone thought it was lace and it's a drawing LOL (etc)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Unfortunately the give away was the fact that you had posted up asking for advice on something that you are clearly a master at, that and you said it was a drawing, hence my post :giggle: :giggle:

I must say I thought it was a piece of lace and not a drawing. Top marks to the artist. :D :D
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yeah - she's OK I suppose - not a bad framer either (can't big her up too much, emailed her the link here)
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I have stared and stared and stared, and then stared some more. Came back and stared even more than some more, stared up close with my nose touching the monitor, stared rubbing and twitching my eyes and I still cannot tell that's a drawing!

After I post this I'm gonna stare some more too. Sire, I say ye should dank her in the moat for her witch'y ways!!!