A water gilt ornate table.

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Geoff

A water gilt ornate table.

Post by Geoff »

The table was completely stripped of it old finish with all knocks and blemishes made good. Was then re sized and gessoed many times and sanded back to an extremely level surface. The entire frame was water gilt in 23.3/4ct gold and left very bright as requested. Some area's were brightly burnished as can be seen. The original table had a marble top which again was re furbished not by myself however. I really enjoyed this project!
Attachments
gilded ornate table.jpg
gilded ornate table.jpg (93.74 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
detail of carved bird.jpg
detail of carved bird.jpg (65.1 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
ornate table gessoed and in bole prior to gilding.jpg
ornate table gessoed and in bole prior to gilding.jpg (85 KiB) Viewed 6546 times
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Re: A water gilt ornate table.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Looking good, glad you enjoyed getting your teeth into it!
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

that sir is some serious shine, very nice, it reminds me of beelzebubs legs, they looked a lot like that last time we chatted anyhow.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Can you imagine having something like this in your own home...you wouldn't have need of a lamp I suspect. Anyway, clients in the middle east seem to like everything "glowing" and this is but one example. I once gilded several (thirty) large ornate frames for an Interior designer supplying that market and every aspect of the frames had to be burnished. A challenge to do, but that's about all and I was so relieved when they were finished.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Ugh. Grotesque!

What do you use for sanding the detail? And would I be right in thinking that the brightly burnished areas coincide with the yellow bole?