build your own TV

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

build your own TV

Post by IFGL »

Lol
Attachments
funny-pictures-dads-can-build-anything-tv.jpg
funny-pictures-dads-can-build-anything-tv.jpg (106.5 KiB) Viewed 15631 times
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: build your own TV

Post by StevenG »

Excellent, who'd have thought it!!! I'm going to have a go at that tonight, wonder if I need a license?
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

I found this funny because my 3 year old thinks I can build or fix anything, my efforts often turn out similar to the cartoon.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Who remembers the TV repair man and his little van? At one time they were very busy. Modern TV's either don't go wrong or not repairable.
One of my earliest memories was about the man who came round to fix the TV. New valve or somefink..... :P I would have been about 5 years old and he spun me a yarn about some cowboys and Indians that had got stuck in the works. For quite a while I used to peek into the holes in the back of the telly to see if I could spot one.

When I got a bit older and figured out that there wasn't any little peeps lurking in the back I used to love to get any old radios/TVs and take them to bits. One TV we had would not work unless you held the channel knob. Got a bit tiring standing there. These were mechanical switches and were apt to wear out. But I cobbled up a gizmo with Meccano that clamped over the switch knob and hooked over the side of the cabinet - thus providing the little twist needed to make make contact in the works. This worked like a dream, although you did have to get a screwdriver and move a little bolt a few holes up or down when changing channels (Both of them. :giggle: ). After a few months of this the brilliant idea dawned to have two Meccano thingys - a BBC and ITV version.

:Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

We used to rent our TV from Radio Rentals and as we had elderly grandparents living with us we had the luxury of more than one TV in the house, when that wasn't a common thing. It did mean that we had the repairman drop by fairly frequently and I remember sitting fascinated as he took them apart, replaced bits and made it work again. By the time I had a place of my own the idea of renting a TV was totally out of fashion and the idea of repairing them seemed just as out of date.

I can still remember the excitement of my Grannie's TV when she got one that had a remote control (she was pretty much bedridden by then so it saved us running in and changing the channel for her!). The remote was attached by a wire and had a slider switch for changing the channel, so you had to scroll through them (mind you there were only 3 at the time so it didn't take long) and then 2 buttons to change the volume. We thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and used to drive her mad by sitting in with her and changing channels for the fun of it.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We didn't have a TV until I was 8 and because we always ate at exactly the same times each day and had the same things each week on certain days, when I hear certain theme tunes or catch phrases I can smell the food!

Dr Who is kippers, I can't hear it without smelling them and vice-versa. The Daleks traumatised me.
Grandstand was egg and chips
Deputy Dawg ("Oooooh ma toe bone") - that's minced beef mash and peas.
"It's Friday, it's five-to-five and it's ........"?? (go on, show your age) - Rissoles.

Sunday tea time was weird, sandwiches and/or salad followed by tinned fruit and evaporated milk - sterilised cream if we were really lucky ... with bread and butter to mop up the juice - honest! Then cake and the only cup of coffee we had all week - tea the rest of the time. Wasn't even proper coffee, was Camp coffee which is chicory essence. Anyway that would be various family series like The Scarlet Pimpernel, Black Beauty and this one - the only one now that I can relate a theme tune to.

[youtube]OE10msGsCn4[/youtube]

My Mum never had a colour TV until after my Dad died - wouldn't pay the extra licence fee. A phone was also out of the question until then.

My first colour TV's remote (two buttons, channel up, channel down) worked next door's TV if I leaned over the balcony - it would also change channels if you rattled a set of keys in front of it.
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

Crackerjack!
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

With Leslie Crowther. I used to really envy the kids on that show getting piled up with all the stuff I knew I'd never ever get for Christmas.
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

It was Ed "Stewpot" Stewart when I watched it and Leslie Crowther was on The Price is Right. Which makes me a bit younger than you Robo :D
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I was in the Army then, we had Centurians - no, not tanks, colleagues!
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

My next door neighbour had a coin operated TV, this was only 4 years ago :lol:
prospero

Post by prospero »

When I left school my mother said we'll have a colour TV when I got a job. :P Well I got a job and we got a colour TV. It was a 23". 8) Enormous thing in it's own free-standing cabinet, complete with folding doors on the front. It was amazing then. I'd watch any old carp as long as it was colour (not everything was...). The phosphors in the tube very soon faded and the colour knob was soon at full stretch. It looked very wan by the time we got a new one. The cabinet however was a nice bit of furniture and still in use as a bookcase. :lol:

The first programmes I remember (apart from Bill and Ben) were The Army Game (Sergeant major Snudge "I got my beady eye on you") and Bilko (Phil Silvers Show). I remember the news flash - President Kennedy is Dead followed the very next night by ep1 of Dr Who.

And I saw Lulu the elephant carping all over and treading on John Noakes' foot. Live. :clap:
topcat
Organisation: Bay Framing
Interests: Picture Framing
Football
Music

Post by topcat »

I find it interesting how rapidly you get used to the size of screen you're watching things on. My first tv was a 12" in my bedroom when i was about 13 and i thought it was fabulous. The tv i have now was a gift from my father-in-law a couple of years ago and it's a 55" behemoth with 3D and lots of other features i don't know how to use. The day it arrived i sat down to watch MOTD and was agog with this cinema in my living room; within a couple of days it was 'just' the tv.
I was off work for three months about six years ago when still living at home with parents and spent a lot of that time bedridden watching endless episodes of Poirot on my laptop and not once did it occur to me that the screen was too small.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Early '90s widescreen TVs started making an appearance. I saw a Philips model in a mag and thought I gotta have that. :P Went to Comet and asked if they had any widescreen TVs. Salesgirl there had no idea what I was talking about. Sent for the manager who said something in the order of, "Ohhh, yes. We did have one but it didn't sell so we don't stock them anymore.......". As luck would have it a local indie shop had a bit more vision (literally) and had the agency for Nokia ws TVs and were pushing them actively. The biggest was a 36". So I snagged one. :D It was about £2500 but I did manage to haggle them down a bit. This thing was a beast. It weighed more than I did (at the time). Not what you would call a flatscreen - it was like a goldfish bowl. It was great when it was working but had a habit of blowing the power supply transformer. Thankfully, I had taken out a five-year extended warranty. It finally developed a terminal fault about a month before the warranty expired. Got about £1500 back.
By that time there were a few HUGE back-projection TVs about. Got a Toshiba one which was the size of a small wardrobe. That one also went wappy just inside the warranty period. :) The cash back from that went toward a 50" plasma. Which was mega-bucks but I got it anyway. Had it nearly ten years and same size models today can be had for the cost of the wall mounting bracket.

There was a B&O dealer in Lincoln advertising a 108" plasma. They don't have one on demo, they fly you out to Denmark to the factory to see one. And apparently they won't sell you one without carrying out a structural survey on your house. :Slap:

Maybe not. :?