Arrrgh!!! Not the Comfy Chair!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
prospero

Arrrgh!!! Not the Comfy Chair!

Post by prospero »

This is mainly a rant, but it does draw a few observations on retailing in today's marketplace.

Had a day off today and took my mother to town to buy a nice new comfy chair. :D Went to a big store (won't mention the name but it's the same as a song by Petula Clark :lol: ). Lots of really nice furniture. Lots of comfy chairs. After a lot of umming and arrring she found one she liked. Not quite the ideal colour, but WTH she could throw a throw over it. It was really comfy. Had a nice rocking mechanism. So she decided to have it. Sounds simple enough. The upshot was we returned chairless. :?

The killer was 6-8 weeks delivery. You can't buy the stuff actually in the store. Now when I go forth to buy something I want to bring it home with me. That time scale is unacceptable. In fact if there wasn't already a load of stuff in my car I could have heaved the chair in the back - paid up and everybody happy. They would not sell the chair on display. So in actuality they aren't retailing as such but more brokering. I should mention that this chair was £750. :shock: I should also mention that the store wasn't exactly packed out. Don't think there were any other customers in all the time we were there.
I had a similar experience while looking for a new oven+hob. Found one in C*rrys that was ideal. OK, cough up, load up and bog off, but same thing - 2-3 weeks in this case. Went over the road to B&Q and they they had stacks of ovens and hobs all boxed up and ready for the off.
B&Q......1
Currys....Nil

What's wrong with this picture? Is this any way to run a business? Not my way at any rate. If someone came into my shop with a fistful of readies I'd sell them the carpet. :clap:

If anyone can recommend any good furniture stores in the Lincs area that actually have stuff on the plot that you can purchase and take home, I would be ever grateful for the steer. :yes:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Arrrgh!!! Not the Comfy Chair!

Post by pramsay13 »

Maybe that's the difference bespoke furniture making and buying ready-made furniture.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

mums chair 003.JPG
mums chair 003.JPG (170.49 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

:lol:

Found another furniture shop that was different altogether. She got an even nicer comfy chair plus a not-quite-so-comfy chair and a little table. Delivered the next day.

:clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Result.

However I think these companies that have the long lead in time do it so that you have the anticipation, and also that it must be good that it is being ordered in or made especially for you since you are paying so much for it. Win win for them not only do they sell you an over inflated priced chair but they have no stock to carry and they also sit on your money for six weeks whilst they twiddle their proverbial thumbs thinking about making you chair for you.

I have known a few framers like that :giggle: :giggle:
Otters Pool Studio
Organisation: Otters Pool Studio
Interests: Hobbies?

Post by Otters Pool Studio »

Our last furniture purchase was also 6-8 weeks, but with an option to PAY for an 'express' service to get it quicker!
Jon.
Otters Pool Studio