Cold remedies

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Cold remedies

Post by Roboframer »

I don't know if it's a cold but I've got something; I don't remember the last time I had 'something', my wife told me that once we were both so ill we didn't open the shop, I don't remember that and it definitely wasn't this shop, so that's pre-2000.

So I've attacked it, it started with the throat - gargled twice every hour with TCP, that's got to be good it's so disgusting - and I try to get it so far down my throat I puke.

In addition, two whole strips of strepsils and a couple of 10 minute sessions towel-over-head over a small bowl of just-off-the-boil water with 10 drops of tea tree oil in it; first inhalation should be gentle but that's not attack-mode - a real good big snort clears the wax out of your ears let alone anything else!

So the bug has now given it "OK, you win on the throat, now have a raging head and a temperature ... but with the shivers - oh and that acute sense of smell you have? Forget it"!

What now? Thinking ignore it, treat it with contempt, go on a diet of Brussels sprouts and baked beans smoothies that'll go through me like Lewis Hamilton.

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Cold remedies

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:go on a diet of Brussels sprouts and baked beans smoothies that'll go through me like Lewis Hamilton.
Hi John, sometimes you have an interesting way with words. :giggle:

How about a real B*m burner of a curry! (hotter on the way out, than it was on the way in) :angry:

You know, one that you will need half a dozen largers to cool you down afterwards. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Nah - don't need anything that adds heartburn to the problem, lies in your gut like a 20 stone whore in a hammock and leaves you requiring pulling-through with a Christmas tree. Just something that rips through you pretty much as it went in, either end, taking a load of nasty stuff with it.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Unfortunately the common cold is a virus which means it lives inside your cells, no amount of pooping will make any difference to your cold, although all the vitamins in the stuff you propose to eat will help your immune system fight it, the strepsals and tcp will help prevent your throat getting infected.

There is no cure but paracetamol and a decongestant will make you feel better and help you through, a recent study shows anti viral medication like tamiflu is no better than taking paracetamol.

Hope you feel better soon.
mho
Organisation: Valley Photo Print & Picture Framing
Interests: Photography, F1, Films, Music.

Post by mho »

Best cure for a cold is wait 2 weeks and it will usually have gone.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Ibruprophen and paracetamol as often as the dosage allows does for me.

I also keep out of the way of the wife and kids when they start going down with it as well. :giggle: :giggle:
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Whenever we complained that we were getting a cold as youngsters my Dad would threaten us with a Brew. The Brew was a family recipe that contained pretty much every disgusting tasting thing you could imagine, but it did actually help a bit to make you feel better, once you had got over the vomit-inducing taste of it. So it sorted out whether you were really ill or just exaggerating!

Feel free to give it a try, the recipe is:

One dose of soluble aspirin, one dose of Gees Linctus cough syrup (other brands could be used, just make sure it is truly disgusting), one teaspoon of neat TCP, a dash of glycerine, a teaspoon of honey, a squirt of lemon juice, mix them all well and then top up to a full big mug with boiling water.

Enjoy! It's a kill or cure kind of thing and a memory from my childhood that I haven't felt mean enough to pass on to my own children.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is the stuff. :P

I swear by it. I say "This is #########ing good stuff" :x

It's almost worth having the flu just to have a knock of it. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

Garlic, raw organic garlic. (homegrown organic is best but thats a bit of a wait)

Eat it however you wish but I cut a clove into about 5 small pieces and swallow with water.

Will be gone overnight.

Avoid all shop bottle remedies as these will prolong it :sweating:
Anything Framed
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Get your boots on, box of butties, flask of hot tea, hip flask filled with a single malt, get up on top of a hill, plenty of fresh in your lungs..... job done :D Just make sure you wrap up well if it's raining... you don't want to get a cold :Slap:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Moondoggy
Organisation: Picture This
Interests: Shooting, beekeeping, woodwork, carving, DIY

Post by Moondoggy »

Wire brush and Dettol, that's what us northerners use. :D