Good enough to eat?

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Good enough to eat?

Post by Roboframer »

This was actually the title of a documetary series presented by Esther Ransen in the eighties (?)

This was where 'extruded' meat first came to light - where all the leftovers are put in to a huge centrifuge and a grey meat 'porridge' is produced to make your economy burgers etc etc - tendons, eyeballs - you name it - it's all 'meat'!!

That programme seriously affected my buying/eating habits.

Now we have the Hugh Whotshisname Whittingsdale/Ramsey/Oliver show - showing exactly what we are buying from tescos etc.

One in eight pounds spent in the UK goes to Tescos!!! Not for me - bar the odd tank of fuel.

I will never again buy food - from anywhere bar Waitrose and/or local butchers/grocers - and I'll want to know where those local shops are getting their stuff from too.

Take-aways? Never again

Restaurants? Oooooh - dodgy, I like eating out!

Have you been watching this stuff - does it make you want to vote with your feet?
osgood

Post by osgood »

John,
That Hugh Fearney Wittingstall is on pay TV here and the shows are probably older ones about 'River Cottage'.

Some of the stuff that guy eats makes my stomach crawl and I have to change channels. Surely he isn't whining about a few eyeballs in his burgers???

I often wonder whether all you Poms eat the same stuff that he does? :wink: :wink:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yes, I've watched him make tripe - including splitting the cow's stomach and watching the contents spill out. Not for me - or the black puddings one - Barf!

Then there was the 'free lunch' episode - roadkill!!!

But it's all about nothing added etc - and the vast majority of his stuff is mouth-watering - he's my favourite TV Chef (but Ramsay is better TV)

In this latest series he invites a load of guests to dinner - all nicely laid out tables in a big room surrounded by curtains - once all are seated he draws back the curtains and the guests find themselves in the centre of a battery hen coop!

A bog standard chicken bought from Tescos (etc) is 39 days old - forced to grow so fast that its legs cannot support its weight.
Alzibiff

Post by Alzibiff »

Few years ago, my wife and I used to go out of our way to look for supermarket products which were of "that" ilk. We found "Value burgers" and "Thrifty Mince" .... which made us smile! (Didn't buy any though).

Alan
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I watched tonight's episode - nothing really new just a summary of a lot of stuff that has been covered in various places over the years.

Does hit home when condensed like this though - the supermarkets' BS statements also v interesting.

I found the Hellmans guy funny - what he said was fine ".........blah blah .... but we will be moving to totally free range eggs from this February.... blah blah....."

I heard the words he did not say though, which were "If we were NOT doing this, then - just like everyone else - I would not be in attendance - no - I'd be providing a BS statement too - like I'm going to come here and say it's OK to use liquid eggs (like we always have - duh!!)"
TTC

Post by TTC »

osgood wrote:John,

Some of the stuff that guy eats makes my stomach crawl does?
If you really want something to make your stomach crawl try this meal that we had in Bangkok during one of our visits. :shock:

http://pattayastreetkids.homestead.com/ ... lunch.html
prospero

Post by prospero »

Pub Grub :roll: