Good Grief!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Good Grief!

Post by Bill Henry »

Like a lot of the country this time of year, we’re getting almost daily thunderstorms and lots of rain. After a brief but raging downpour, I opened the back door to the shop to let in some fresh air.

Two of the people from another unit in the mall had the same idea and went out back to sneak a smoke, when I heard “Holy &^#*!” and “Would you look at that?”. I went out to see what they were pointing at.

From a very dark and ominous cloud that had just passed, there seemed to be the beginnings of a funnel cloud. We watched and it began to rotate more rapidly and began to reach out toward the ground. The distance was hard to judge, but it looked like it was less than 1/2 mile from where we were.

It continued to get bigger and more threatening for, maybe, two minutes or so, then just sort of fell apart.

We’re not supposed to get tornados here in New Hampshire! It’s says so in the State Constitution, I think.

I’m calling my congressman. :sweating:
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Spit
Organisation: Framing Mad
Interests: Framing, watercolours & CCFC

Re: Good Grief!

Post by Spit »

Maybe it broke up because someone shot it? :D
http://www.classicbikeart.co.uk

Steve.
During business hours : My status
The Jolly Good Framer #1

Post by The Jolly Good Framer #1 »

Toto, I don't think we're in New Hampshire anymore. :giggle:
w00dward
Organisation: Just here
Interests: 42

Post by w00dward »

We're off to see the wizard..
Paul.

Alcohol does not make you FAT
- it makes you LEAN ….
against tables, chairs, floors, walls and ugly people.
Bill Henry
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

I was sort of joking about it yesterday, but the sight of this funnel cloud was very unsettling.

Apparently this line of thunderstorms we were watching continued to the northeast where a real tornado developed. It touched down about twenty miles from here and created a path of destruction thirteen miles long, leveling twelve homes and damaging another 100 or so. Tens of thousands of trees were either uprooted or snapped. The area is virtually impassible because of the debris.

A woman and an infant were killed, and another woman is still missing, presumably still in the rubble of her home.

The Governor of New Hampshire declared a state of emergency and called out the National Guard to help with rescue and recovery.

Tornados happen frequently in the plains states, but very seldom here in the Northeast.

This whole thing just underscores how fleeting and fragile life can be.
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

Bill Henry wrote:I was sort of joking about it yesterday, but the sight of this funnel cloud was very unsettling.

Apparently this line of thunderstorms we were watching continued to the northeast where a real tornado developed. It touched down about twenty miles from here and created a path of destruction thirteen miles

This whole thing just underscores how fleeting and fragile life can be.
Well Bill

errr !! ................am coming past your way in a few weeks, is it wise to still come??

Ian
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Just seen some of the helicopter footage by way of WBZTV and the resulting damage to peoples homes. My sympathies go out to those who were in its path. You were very lucky it didn't touch down at your place Bill.

It would seem unusual to have tornados in the North-East states.

Take care

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
Bill Henry

Post by Bill Henry »

silvercleave wrote:
Well Bill

errr !! ................am coming past your way in a few weeks, is it wise to still come??

Ian
Sure, you ought to be fine. Just keep an eye out for flying houses.

Whereabouts are you going?
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Seen by the lady wife and daughter on the Ringwood bypass.

Five smartly suited men in a line peeing into the ditch at the side of the road (backs turned).

Travelling in a limo sporting the logo ' A Touch of Class' !! :roll:

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once