Furthest you have driven

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
popawisky
Organisation: petes shed
Interests: reading

Re: Furthest you have driven

Post by popawisky »

long distance???? ya wouldn't know long distance. I used to be a long distance bus driver on the Isle Of Man
One must maintain a sense of insanity, or you will go mad.
griff buch
Organisation: Pheasant Framing
Interests: Looking forward to retirement
weeding; washing the dishes
Scuba diving

Re: Furthest you have driven

Post by griff buch »

Roboframer wrote:Tell it, tell it.
For the return journey (from Vancouver to Toronto, August 1967), we ( my fellow traveller, Fred and myself, both healthy 20+ heteros by the way) decided that it wasn't going to be such a challenge as the outward journey; we would stop off at a motel about half way.
Left Van. early Sunday and drove for about 36 hours; we stopped near Winnipeg about 4 pm on Monday (a public holiday I seem to remember). Totally knackered again from driving we booked into a motel (same room, seperate beds) aiming to leave in the early hours.
I was woken from a deep sleep by Fred saying we've overslept & we must get on the road, it being 8 oclock & broad daylight. So we rushed off, having paid when we checked in, and headed down the road.

Er...just a minute, the sun is behind us; are we going in the right direction? checked map-yes. Oh my god we've slept for 16 hours- but people are looking casually dressed, not like a working day ie Tuesday. So, totally confused, a few miles down the road we stopped and asked somebody which day of the week it was!!!!
Monday came the reply. It was 8 pm & we had slept for only 4 hours.
What to do?
We returned to the motel to see if we could get our room again :oops: . The landlady looked at us curiously :smirk: and she had already changed the sheets. I think she believed our story as she allowed us back into the room to continue our sleep, without extra charge.

Setting off at the appointed time we were privilegded to see the Northern Lights in a spectacular display and, in the mist of dawn, coming up over a rise, there, on a rocky outcrop beside the road, was a magnificent male moose outlined in the rising sun.
A week later I was working in the Chrysler factory in Windsor making Dodge Polaras and Plymouth Furys.
A very memorable trip.
The Pheasant Plucker
There's no fool like an old fool