100 lines

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

100 lines

Post by Roboframer »

When a customer opens with 'Can you give me a price to frame these' GET TO THE PRICE QUICKLY.

(Times one hundred in my best handwriting)

Lady unrolled a poster "Ooooh didn't realise it was that long"

Then I noticed a tear on one edge - said we could stop it from getting worse - filmoplast P90 on reverse. Could I do it now? - Yeah, sure.

Pointed out it was wavy from being rolled - we could sort that out too, but not the creases - you know, the ones they don't see until they get it back from you. There was a smaller poster too - both would need drymounting.

Basically got sidetracked and forgot the rule above. Long story short, I was there one hour - applied my 15 minute rule (first 15 mins is free, every subsequent 15 mins I add £10 to the order - depending, it's flexible - this person was definitely a case for the rule) So - £30 added to the order, which framed in what we agreed looked best plus drymounting, was not cheap.

Gone to 'think about it' - may be back of course - gave her the written quote.

I'd just done an order before her too so had been behind the counter for an hour and a half, my framer is off sick - has been for 6 weeks and I know that it is getting to the time of year where, if alone, I will spend more time taking orders than I have to make them - unless I work nights and Sundays.

So - big domestic with Mrs Robo for not rescuing me so's I could get on, she has 2 assistants.... then it's 17:35 - by now we're all having a good laugh about PITAs - we're supposed to close at 17:30 - head to door - customer walks in. We never throw people out or say 'sorry we're closing' - as much as - today in particular - I'd like to sometimes.

Customer is joined by husband - walk about the place - "Oh what a wonderful shop"

Yeah, yeah - whatever - stomach rumbling now. Spends about 20 mins ooooing and aaahhing - and about £3 on a coupla metres of fancy braid.

Lock door, cash up, limbo under workshop shutter, lock shutter, jump in car, down the drive, give way to a car which stops at 'T' junction outside shop, pull up behind it.

Guy crosses the road between our two cars, car in front's door opens - lady driver is asking guy for directions, I wait .... I wait ... I wait.

Bloody inconsiderate selfish BITCH! I would never ever do this, I wind down my window to shout "OY - when you're ****** READY" - Mrs R anticipates with a slap!

Check mirror - all clear - reverse, start to pull to left of inconsiderate - car reverses out of parking space to my left - blocks me - it's a young bird that works in a local shop - parks outside all day and prevents my customers (and hers) from parking - along with many like her. I can't go anywhere - nor can she, a car has spotted her space and is indicating to take it, but is in her way. Stupid tart should have reversed INTO the space, then she'd be away. Other woman still getting directions, my teeth are starting to wobble.

Finally get away - calmly - no burning rubber, hang a right and then I spot someone I HATE - about to cross the road.

I only genuinely HATE two people on earth - this person is BOTH of them!

Please - PLEASE cross the road in front of me - or maybe I could mount the kerb and give him terminal Volvo rash, what would I get - a fine - some points on my licence? He sees me - our eyes meet - same as always - I look him straight in the eyes and smile, knowingly. He looks away.

Mrs R says she will drive to and from work from now on - I say in that case I'll be walking. Small domestic which ends up in laughter as usual.

Italian style meatballs with brown rice and grated gruyere cheese with a nice glass of Aussie red. BP back to normal.

But tomorrow is another day.....
Roboframer

Re: 100 lines

Post by Roboframer »

(Oops quoted instead of edited - only had the one glass - honest)
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

We have all been there John.

Well written and very entertaining.
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

Two o'clock this afternoon young man comes in. Wants detailed quote, with no pic, waves arms about. Usual thing. Please go and get pic, didn't expect to see him again. This happens to all of us; very trying. Comes back at 4.34pm with a detailed drawing, OK so no pic. Can I make just a frame 110ml by 83ml 2" obeche. When do you need it? 5.00pm !!
Never cease to be amazed by the mind of the man in the street, but the frame will be ready for opening time tomorrow.
Should change my signature to: The impossible we do at once..... etc.

Dare say I'll get a few wry comments from the usual quarters.

I've often said to others in retail, that it should be made compulsary for everyone to spend, say, six months on our side of the counter.
Measure twice - cut once