B**** Herons!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

B**** Herons!

Post by Roboframer »

WE used to be keen gardeners, we love our garden but now we just don't have the time, so we have had a landscaper in - a V good one and he has replaced our pond with a bigger one and made the rest more easy to maintain.

The pond is 20 x 16' and we put over 300 goldfish into it from our old, smaller one - don't ask me where they all came from - last time we counted we reckoned about 40!

Anyway we've always had a local heron - it didn't do much damage to the fish stock and they aren't exactly prize Koi.

But now we have an all singing-all dancing UV filtration unit and underwater lighting that makes the heron's job that much easier (not in the main 'trough' though - it's 4' deep!

So - as we can now see all our fish we want to get some posh ones, but not before we invest in a good heron scarer/deterrent.

Before anyone suggests it - we've tried photos of ourselves!

We have also tried a plastic heron - but when the real one flies over and sees ours with a robin on its beak it thinks 'Yeah, RIGHT!"

Also, apparently, these fake herons can attract mates!!!

We've googled heron scarers/protection - we don't want a net or a grid - too unsightly, and there are also Heath-Robinson devices that fire a jet of water at anything that moves, but they are unsightly.

If you shoot a heron you could be fined £400.

Anyone have a fishpond and found a good method for keeping herons away?
markw

Post by markw »

I can rent you a insane cat that attempts to kill anything with feathers. We put a bell on its collar but its buried so deeply in the furry monsters coat that it has little effect.
I was sat contentidly eating my breakfast the other morning when my daughter came into the kitchen and pointed out that i was resting my feet on a very large rat (dead)- manic cat likes to prove his skill at tackling creatures nearly as big as he is - we were lucky - he normally brings them in and plays with them for a few hours - dont think he would get a Heron through his cat flap.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

You have ruled out a net which is the best method I know.

If you could ask your fish, I'm sure they would tell you that they would not be offended by a net's unsightliness in fact they might see it as quite beautiful. :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Yeah but it's a big pond and Annette (that's what you call a girl standing between two white posts) has to be at least 6" above the water, would interfere with plants and be a sod to take off and replace unless it was permanent which defeats the object of a natural looking pond.

Thought of a picture of a heron with a red line through it!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I think Foxyframer may be able to help with the unwanted guest at your pond. He said in another thread on this forum-

"I think I need more 16 bore cartridges".

What else need be said!
Cheers,
Mark
beth

Post by beth »

have plenty of plants for the fish to hide in.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

OK - in the end I went for the unsightly yellow thing with two big eyes, connected to a hose.

I.R. detectors turn the thing towards intruders and fires a jet of water.

Then went out and bought two koi - 12" from the '£45' tank, but when I pointed out the two I wanted the guy said 'Ah - problem - some of these are more expensive, that yellow one, with the big scales, is £95' He produced a chart with photos and prices.

Ah sod it, I really want those two - go for it. The other one is ivory with black patches and one pink area on its head, we cal it the Orca, a much posher looking thing than the £95 one.

They have been very happy in their new surroundings, surely they will grow into giants, worth hundreds and hundreds of pounds, we'll add to the collection, maybe they will BREED!

Every morning there are wet squirts of water in several directions, something has been - a cat, a magpie or whatever bird, maybe the heron?

This morning I fed the fish - the two Koi are always first up, swallowing about 5 pellets at a time - barging goldfish out of the way. Only the Orca came up, with a load of goldfish - oh and orfe (the orfe all have names, 'sod orfe' bugger orfe' etc etc)

It's gone - the bleedin' heron - or something - has scoffed my £95 Koi - expensive taste.

I'm sure these birds get used to these devices and get to realise they can't harm them. Once I caught one in the act, it took off the instant I opened the conservatory door, flew no more than 30 yards into the field behind us and calmly scoffed a goldfish, then just stood there looking at me.

I ran to the fence and leapt about, it took off and landed about 60 yards away, and you know what, if I had not known it was there, I never would have seen it.

We've watched blackbirds taking a bath in the header pool with our heron scarer giving them a shower thrown in. Waste of money!
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Last year I caught a heron trying to catch our fish. I smacked it and the dogs chased it away.

Half-hour later it was back! Anyway, I caught it again, smacked it harder and shouted at it. I then threw it up into the air thinking it would fly away. It was so dazed it nose-dived into the road. So, feeling sorry for it, I picked it up, stroked, it and talked to it gently. As evening was coming I settled it down in the barn and left it.

Anyway, after that it seemed to spend the rest of the summer down by the river and didn't come into our garden again. It was probably my gentle soothing tones and beady eyes that scared the hell out of it.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

The trouble is that not all birds have 'bird brains'.

Herons are intelligent birds, eyes like radar and soon have things worked out.

We have a large pond, but no fish. Herons are in the area.

Also a hen-house, but no hens. Bloody foxes arn't stupid !

Muntjaks (small deer), are the biggest pain; just cannot keep them out. Eat anything up to four feet above grass level; ivy included.

Like herons, they will stand and stare and look defiant.

Looks like we can't beat Mother Nature.
Measure twice - cut once
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

Robo, did you find a heron scarer?

When we lived in Sussex we dought one that consisted of a box with a battery and an alarm and a long length of nylon thread. The thread was stretched around the edge of the pond and acted as a tripwire so that any heron paddling into the pond set of the siren.

I think we bought it at the Jarvis Brook Garden Centre near Crowborough.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Set up some outdoor audio speakers and blast really obnoxious music at it – any selection from a Welsh Men’s Choir ought to do it.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Are off-cuts of water white glass invisible under water? Not suggesting anything, just an interesting question!
markw

Post by markw »

herons are a protected bird - blasting out the sound from a welsh male voice choir would be an act of unspeakable cruelty. It would probably kill the fish as well. :lol:
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Mrs R says I just need to kip in the conservatory - my snoring would make planes divert.

Duh - I think I'd know if I snored - my nose is closer to my ears than hers!!
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

There's an electric fence at: :idea:

http://www.aquatic-store.co.uk/

It retails at £89:99

The downside is that it's damned ugly and would probably hide the pond.

The plus side is that you could recreate Steve McQueens heroic exploits in the Great Escape whenever you wanted. Alternatively, dress as a German stormtrooper......

Sorry, just losing the thread a little.
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Anyone have a fishpond and found a good method for keeping herons away?
We fount that a pair of old english sheepdogs kept most things away ;)

if your garden can stand it i have heard that a mirror will do the trick too.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'm keeping my HAIRon over it all - no point in CARPing on.

Made a little poem/mantra to help me accept the loss of my flying fish.

Roses are red
Koi carp are fun
I used to have two
But now I've got one

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I have a Koi
but I used to have two

Roses are red
My pond's too small for a punt
But not for a freakin' heron
and this one don't rhyme!

Roses are red
I need some karma
That heron's got a shock coming
From my new pet piranha.
osgood

Post by osgood »

I read somewhere that a life size cutout of an eagle or hawk painted to look like those found in the area will keep other birds away from your pond.
Several of them with different profiles or one movedto a new location every few days was recommended!

Do try it! (not Dilmah)
markw

Post by markw »

Visiting a friends garden I noticed a plastic snake curled up on a rock by his pond - It keeps the Herons away.
Not your average framer

How about an electric eel?