Flumb Poem

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

Flumb Poem

Post by Roboframer »

I haved a confession to make, it wasn't me that gave the framing world the name 'Flumb' for bits of crap under the glass that you only see after putting on the last bit on the back of the frame, be it a 'D' ring, a bumper, your sticker, whatever. Or maybe you don't even see it then, but the customer does the instant you go "TA-DAAAAA" ... or maybe even later after they've got it home.

Well, I did, sort of, give the word to the trade, but it isn't my word, it was in a poem that a customer wrote for a framer and that framer put it in a letter in one of the trade mags. Must have been either The Picture Business or Art Business today. I THINK it was when we were in our first shop, so between 1997-2000 but could have been earlier; no earlier than 1994.

It was a really funny poem but I only remember one line, and even then, not properly - something like "makes you un-glue your glued-up thing".

I'd love to get hold of it and am considering contacting ABT/FATG and TPB to see if they have the back issue it's in.

Thought I'd ask here first; I know there's a few hoarders amongst us. It could even be in my garage (my original workshop) somewhere, but the day I sort that place out, it'll be with a zippo and a can of unleaded!
Roboframer

Eureka!

Post by Roboframer »

Roboframer wrote:it was in a poem that a customer wrote for a framer and that framer put it in a letter in one of the trade mags
I got that bit wrong, it wasn't a letter.

Recently someone with the username "Mr E. Rep" (Mystery rep) joined the forum - this was the handle of a columnist in TPB at the time.

So I PM'd him; asked him if he remembered it, if not then at least it would have probably narrowed it down to ABT. But It actually appeared in his column and he remembers it well - here you go ..

A terrible thing is a flumb,
Oh - a flumb is a terrible thing!
It makes you say words like "BUM!"
And unglue your glued-up-thing.
Then, just as your temper goes 'ping!'
You'll find that the flumb disappears,
So you glue up your un-glued-up thing...
And hey presto! - the flumb reappears!

Maybe we could add verses?