My new organised workshop, on a budget!

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

My new organised workshop, on a budget!

Post by fusionframer »

Hi all,

I recently decided that I needed pretty much all the space in my main room for framing so have moved most of the antique furniture into another room. I then went about getting more organised and building a new workbench. I already had a couple, one large one made up of 3 metal benches and one a mount board storage bench. I also have another room for my dirty work with all my power tools etc.

The new workbench is 10 feet by 4.5 feet and made from wood nabbed from one of the other businesses in the yard. I made it to fit the plan chest under one side. The top is chipboard covered with reclaimed office tiles (50p each). Total cost of bench was £42.

I made the chevron display using a folding screen I picked up from an antiques auction for £10. Added some mdf to back so can display on 4 sides.

I made the glass sheet holder from the base to an old desk and offcuts of mouldings so cost me nought.

I did splash out and get some pegboard which does need another coat of paint.

I will be getting a new floor put down at some point, but quite pleased compared to how it looked! Will see if I can dig out of of a before photo.

It doesn't have to cost too much to have a bit of a refurb!
20121011_123525.jpg
20121011_123525.jpg (229.4 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
20121011_123536.jpg
20121011_123536.jpg (253.64 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
20121011_123612.jpg
20121011_123612.jpg (207.37 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
20121011_123651.jpg
20121011_123651.jpg (230.44 KiB) Viewed 2853 times
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: My new organised workshop, on a budget!

Post by YPF »

That all looks pretty good, especially given the amount reused/recycled material. Just out of curiosity - how much floor space have you got in that room?
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: My new organised workshop, on a budget!

Post by fusionframer »

Thanks, it makes life so much easier with the large workbenches.

That room is about 450 - 500 square foot. It leads onto another room which is where I have 2 other workbenches but just for dirty work, routing etc for some hand made frames and my antique restoration etc. However, apart from the fact I store my mouldings in there, a cabinet with offcuts of glass and my big board cutter (like keencut excaliber), everything I need for framing is in that room and there would plenty of room to house all of that in there if needed.

Having got more organised, I am so much more efficient, I know where everything is and it all goes back after use, so I am never wasting time looking for things I just put down.
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.