Damaged car

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
FrameArt

Damaged car

Post by FrameArt »

Out at a supermarket today shopping, returned to the car (Ford Focus C Max) to find the tailgate badly damaged, cann't even open it. Of course the low life that caused the damage had driven off. Went back to the store to enquire if the car park is covered by CCTV... of course it isn't.
My insurance will cover it but I will have to pay over £300 policy excess. How low some people are. :head:
FrameArt
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Damaged car

Post by IFGL »

not related, but i framed part of a crashed F1 car once :). oh yes they are the sum of the earth prang and go.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I know how annoying that is although more so as your idiot gets away.

My Ford Galaxy parked on the village high street (legally) was hit by the local bus about 3 weeks ago. I was in the shop at the time and the bus driver drove off. I was fortunate that I did get a witness, so sorted insurance out. However, I was told I needed to go to a police station to report it as it is still a hit and run.

Wasted a mornings work at the police station, only to receive a phone call from the police 4 days after reporting it to ask if the insurance was sorted. When I told them it was, they told me there was therefore no reason to get involved! So what about the fact this bus driver had left the scene of the accident, that he was driving over 30 mph according to witness between parked cars on the high street. He apparently looked out at the damage before speeding off.

The bus company are not interested. They have a shocking reputation after one of their drivers, full of drugs killed a local boy on the way to his final a-level 2 years ago. The parish council don't seem interested as there are very few passengers take the bus so if we kick up a stink, we may lose the bus altogether.
20121030_090118.jpg
20121030_090118.jpg (60.77 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

I'd still pursue it. To not challenge this condones illegal behaviour. For one thing the Plod should have followed it up as a "hit and run" which is totally against the law.

if the village loses the bus then that's the fault of the parish council since they were not there to help you. After all that's what they are elected to do. help the local parishioners. :xcomputer:
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

The wifes car (a honda) was damaged recently in a supermarket car park - by a shopping trolly! Just the rear bumper
gd2.jpg
gd2.jpg (115.3 KiB) Viewed 8998 times

Needless to say - no video , no-one left a note

Result - new bumper £500 !!!!!

The other place I NEVER EVER take my car is the Dr's Surgery - you should see the way the 4x4 mums with tiny kids and the OAP's park - or not ! reverse till you hit something drive forward till you hit something else . Do these particular groups of society have no pride in their driving ? seems not

Rant over -

btw - i hate 4x4's with wimin drivers and small kids.
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I think the general attitude the police take is that unless the damage is deliberate or someone is injured, they just are not interested. There are so many cars on the road nowadays that the odds on having a minor prang sooner or later are quite high.

I once backed into a concrete bollard in a car park. Had a Range Rover at the time. The bollard was on a sloping bank on the grass verge. Heck of a thump. I remember thinking "what a daft place to put a bollard" and "that sounds expensive." :? Got out to have a look - not a mark on the bumper. Not even a slight scuff. The bollard was OK too, apart from leaning over a bit. They don't build 4x4s like they used to. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I have not let it rest. I have harassed the police to say that I do not accept that sorting the insurance out is an end to it. I have also written to the parish council asking for them to look into it. I have found out that at least 2 other people have had damage done to their car (and not just a scratch!) by bus drivers in Marshfield. We have got together and written a piece for the quarterly "All around Marshfield" which is delivered to all residents for free (it is actually well read).
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The way to deal with this sort of problem is to ask the police for an incident number when you have to report anything like this.

This gives you the opportunity to tell the police that you will report their lack of action to the local press and your MP and that you will be passing on the incident number to enable the matter to be followed up.

It is also useful to write down the names of any police officers you have spoken to, or been contacted by, together with the date and the time any conversations actually took place.

The police are generally careful to protect their public image and may reconsider their position in the light of any potentially bad PR which may arise from you taking things further.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
BigBazza
Organisation: Frame by Frame
Interests: Allsorts!

Post by BigBazza »

Look up the Traffic Commissioner for your area - they are responsible for the issuing of Operators Licences which every operator of Busses and HGV's requires to have in order to operate in the UK - and complain to them in writing about the lack of driving standards and cooperation by the company involved (and get all the others to do so separately too).

The Commissioners are the only people who can really do something about it and hit these rogue companies where it hurts.
FrameArt

Post by FrameArt »

Got the car back from being repaired on Christmas Eve. New tailgate, new rear bumper and new tow bar...
FrameArt