I'm leaning on the Lamp Column

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

I'm leaning on the Lamp Column

Post by Roboframer »

I've been having some communication with West Sussex County Council's highways dept over the last 6 weeks or so, regarding the removal of a parking restriction sign from a lamp POST to a new and uneccesary post - more street furniture.

Long story - the BS I've been given is unreal, maybe I'll post the lot here later, you'll wet yourselves, but in the meantime I'm looking for alternative names for a lamp post, which they call a lamp column - further abbreviated to LC - to add some sarcasm to future correspondence - so an equally sarcastic abbreviation would also be good. I could call it something different each time.
prospero

Re: I'm leaning on the Lamp Column

Post by prospero »

What's wrong with this picture?
hibin.jpg
hibin.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 17783 times
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Clarry
Organisation: RK Framing
Interests: Family, Motorbikes, Skiiing.

Post by Clarry »

Argh councils, don't get me started!

Here are a couple to start you off.

Good luck

LDD - Light Diffusion Device

DIS -Darkness Inhibitor Structure

PNH - Planning Notice Holder
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Come on it is the season of good will to all genders, lets not call into question the vocabular integrity council operatives...........................

After all if they didn't have new buzz words and acronyms to learn what would they spend their days doing. :giggle: :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

Permanent Environmental Nocturnal Illumination Structure. :wink:
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

[youtube]3e53eJBwiKw[/youtube]
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I expect the local dog population will express their opinion adequately.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Canine Urination Station, not much of an abbreviation but I like it.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

prospero wrote:Permanent Environmental Nocturnal Illumination Structure.
Like it, might change the 'E' to Elevated and the 'N' to Nighttime though.
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

What's wrong with this picture?
It's a very nice picture Prospero. A straight column. An attractive lady. And a litter conscious little boy. Splendid :clap:
What did you think was wrong with it?
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

It's obvious what's wrong with it - it's below average head height, a serious H&S issue, it should be way higher!

OK .... thinking about that, you wouldn't be able to reach it with your litter - I suppose the bin would have to be upside-down, that'd tick the box fine.

Why is it that the only people that think stupid things make sense are the ones that made them?
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

I do agree with Roboframer.... there are some serious Health and Safety issues here, as well as environmental ones.....

1. The child is not being carried proerly; has no safety harness; has probably not been trained in 'working from heights'; and is likely to topple over if he/she overstretches.
2. Has the mother completed a manual handling course?
3. Why oh why is the child putting paper in a normal litter bin - haven't they heard of recycling!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Hard hats and Hi vis jackets are not being worn by either the litter recovery operative or the litter recovery operative vertical handling operative and really I think a HAS supervisor with HAS documentation holder should have been present.
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

Given that I'm only 4'-8" I completely missed that one ~ sorry.
I'll be more observant next time.
Perhaps it really is over 6'-00" above the pavement, & the woman is REALLY BIG
Why is it that the only people that think stupid things make sense are the ones that made them?
Think that one through just one more step Robo and you'll get the answer :lol: :lol: because they're st..................
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Post by guzzijim »

First it’s obviously only for giants use only!, the giant can clearly been seen in the logo dropping paper downwards!

Secondly for the blind and partially sighted it makes an overhanging structure which could cause serious head injuries.

Elevated Illumination Stanchion

Urban Supplementary Lighting Pillar
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Ah! You have to understand how the Highways planning department think. You see they think that they have been very clever by placing the sign on a new post to get a better angle of illumination of the sign from the said lighting column. :idea:

Of course the parking restriction might not apply at night time, but how would you know if that it was not illuminated as a result of the shortly to be improved illunination angle.

Also these wonderfully clever people already know that it is not right to use the lighting column for anything other than it's intended function. A lighting column is for lighting, where as a sign post is for supporting the said sign. Simples!

You've gotta hand it to these people, they know what they are doing! :Slap:

Furthermore, Sussex towns like yours are a haven for elderly ladies and their little dogs, but unfortunately there are just not enough lighting columns, posts and other items of street furniture to met the requirements of so many little dogs. Hence the policy of installing extra items of street furniture to keep everyone happy. Woof, woof (Happy)

Question: How many highways operatives does it take to install the new post, remove the sign from the lighting column and install the sign on the new post?

Perhaps you should make a freedom of information request, for copies of all the documentation relating to this lighting column and new post. You would then be able to carry out your own measurements and complain when you discover that the sign has been positioned a few mm out from the dimensions on the site drawing on the grounds that it does not comply with the ducuments already approved by the relevent authority. After all, failure to comply with what was approved is a serious matter and if they are going to spend so much money, someone should make sure that they do it right! :giggle:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

BTW, The elevated waste bin in the picture is a new inovation, to ensure that seagulls can gain access to any discarded food items in the bin without being attached by local dogs, or being puked on by passing drunks who have left the pub late at night.

The bin is also not accessible to rats, which are known to spread diseases and due to the increased risk of flooding resulting from climate change, there will not be any added pollution created by the rubbish in the bin floating out of the bin and added further health riks to the local population.

Also when a flood occurs this ingenius inovation will has avoided replacement of the bin due to the rust damage which otherwise would have occured during the flood. Which again shows the tireless dedication of the highways department to demonstrate just how clever they really are!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gus
Organisation: Not yet.
Interests: Off road motorcycling; Youth work; Watching sport - motocross; speedway and rugby mainly.

Post by Gus »

10 council lamp posts standing in a row.......
and if 1 council lamp post should accidently fall.........

lamppost.jpg
lamppost.jpg (48.58 KiB) Viewed 17602 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

Here's a little Highways Dept cockup that happened a few years ago in this fair village. :)

There is a crossing on the main road. Good thing. Very busy road. tick V.G. :D

But someone (or some committee) decided to make it safer by putting in a halfway-island. Sounded like a good idea.......

When they had nearly finished the work, someone observed that it did narrow the road a bit. Wide enough for cars and big wagons. But this is a very agricultural area. There are huge pieces of farming kit trundling though on a regular basis. More during harvest time. So someone was despatched to a local farm to borrow a pea-viner. Would it fit? Would it fishcakes. :lol:
So all the road was torn up again and put back how it was. At no inconsiderable cost. :?