had a problem with accessing forum

Site announcements
Problems/suggestions/Questions
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

had a problem with accessing forum

Post by mikeysaling »

for a couple of days i have had a problem getting to the forum (before log in) i was getting 'explorer cannot access the site dns unavailable' etc etc diagnosis said site may be having problems or may be temporarily unavailable try later. I quickly managed to contact a couple of our members via the grumble! (thanks chaps) and they had no problems - so it was me and to a degree still is - my problem. All my other websites worked .

I went through all the diagnostics i could - and am still trying to actually pinpoint the problem - however in the meantime i found a link to a site that allows me to log in anonymously - which worked - so if you get a similar problem with this or ANY site (remember this was the only site affected) try this link - i am working through it now (do not let your kids have this url it bypasses all kinds of things as you will see - but its perfectly safe to use)

http://www.webproxyonline.info/
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Re: had a problem with accessing forum

Post by John »

A few months back, I had a similar problem when trying to connect to one of my sites from work. After determining that the host was not blocking my IP address (my initial thought, and probably Mikey's too), I spent a bit of time on Google and eventually found a fix here.

I was extremely sceptical of this solution, but as a last resort, gave it a try, and was very surprised to discover that it worked. :)

Setting the MTU to 576 did the trick for me, and has not made my already slow connection speed any slower.
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

thats the next port of call then !! will give tiscali a chance to respond first - they may have the answer as this prob is only 2 days old.

thanks for that

mikey
ShaggyDog
Organisation: FrameDog
Interests: Music, photography, where the cat is going to sleep next.

Post by ShaggyDog »

If it's Tiscali then it's Virgin as well - I'm getting the same problem, on and off. It's an annoyance, but nothing worse as yet, as hitting the home button (FF is one of my home pages) seems to let the page work properly.
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

your ip number is probably what they call dynamically assigned - so its diffent each time you log on - but until the prob is solved it will maybe get worse - i have a response from tiscali and will post a copy when i have digested the content fully!! in the meantime im connected via a proxy site which works a dream! (see above ref and link)

mikey
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

had this from tiscali

Thank you for contacting TalkTalk Customer Support.

I understand from your email that you are unable to access some of the websites.

I am glad to assist you and extremely sorry for the inconvenience caused. We want our valuable customers to be completely satisfied with our product and service.

The reason being that Tiscali has Internet Access Servers in Milton Keynes that has an internetwork of DNS servers. These DNS servers are connected worldwide with other DNS servers. The webmasters have updated their DNS address, however this has till now not been updated with Tiscali's MK DNS servers. So when we type the desired website, our network of DNS servers is not able to resolve the query and consequently does not resolve the IP address. This gives a blank page or an error that 'page cannot be found' or 'DNS error'.

To resolve this issue, I request you to manually configure the DNS settings on your computer, so that website servers can be reached:

1. Double click the icon which will have two computers overlapping each other on the right hand side bottom of your computer screen.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click the Networking Tab.
4. Highlight the Internet Protocol and click Properties.
5. Choose 'Use the following DNS ServerAddress' and enter the following

has done the trick - i havnt posted the numbers (detail ) they gave me as it may cause a problem if someone else uses same same dns
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Just Google "Public DNS Servers" to find alternative servers that can be used by anyone regardless of your ISP.
pinkybanks
Organisation: Home based framer
Interests: Keeping fit, framing, my children.

Post by pinkybanks »

I too have had loads of problems trying to access the forum. I use a computer with Chrome, and another with IE. Some days neither work allow me access to the site stating they cant find the URL, other days I can access it on the PC that operates IE. Never had issues accessing it from a work network or my Blackberry. Thought it may have something with not logging out at the end of the session.
aim2frame Stoke picture framing http://aim2frame.moonfruit.com/
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

i heard from tiscali (only this morning) that i can go back to my original dns - and it now works ok !!! so hopefully the problem is now resolved.

I don't think staying logged in causes a problem - i always check the box to stay logged in or words to that effect.
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

I have not been able to access the forum from my work computer for a good 10 days, all other sites are fine though, it is working OK today.
I am with TalkTalk/Tiscali

not a bad thing as I have got alot more work done.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Had problems too and not only this site. Also a Tiscali customer (who are now TalkTalk).

I am going to contact BT and see if I can get a deal on joint phone/broadband and possibly save a bit. Just renegotiated electric with B Gas and played them off against Scottish Power for a much better deal than we were on.
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

yes the link is working now - read myabove post its caused by tiscalis dns (main server) not being recognised - its solved now - I hope!! problem for me is if i change to another isp my website will go down!
barefaced framer
Organisation: is my middle name
Interests: Walking the Beagle, Tea Lady, Cook,Cleaner etc..etc....

Post by barefaced framer »

I've not been able to access for two weeks, trying on two different computers.Even my IT 'expert' (husband) couldn't help.

Obviously I have just now I got in.

No other site was a problem.

We are not on Tiscali though.
mikeysaling

Post by mikeysaling »

put this link in your favourites for emergencies

http://www.webproxyonline.info/