Pictures in York Art Gallery

Conservation Issues
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Pictures in York Art Gallery

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I went to see an exhibition of wartime art in York over Easter and amoung the collection were a number of paintings framed behind museum glass. Intrestingly the spacer used between the artwork and the glass appeard to be made of hardboard, it had that familiar printed texture visible if you looked closely. Not a very conservation mided method or is there another product on the market with a similar look?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Roboframer

Re: Pictures in York Art Gallery

Post by Roboframer »

Maybe they have a conservator/restorer that likes to make sure s/he'll have something to do in years to come.
sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Post by sable filbert »

Roboframer wrote:Maybe they have a conservator/restorer that likes to make sure s/he'll have something to do in years to come.
I approached (gently) a Charity Trust that looks after a country house, when the previous day or two on a visit, I saw watercolours in window recesses, lovingly tickled by sunshine and almost every mount had that 1970/80's gingery red bevel.
The email reply said that a paper conservator had been working at the Trust for 20 years and they were sure it was all fine and dandy.
prospero

Post by prospero »

That's the spirit. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Most such country houses are the same. Let's guess they have 40 rooms, with 20 such pictures in each. That's 800 pictures, and at a bargain price £100 ea for remounting/glazing that's £80,000. Ain't going to happen.