The case for the defence!

Conservation Issues
Roboframer

The case for the defence!

Post by Roboframer »

OK - could have added this to my 'striving for perfection thread' but there's too much carp to get through before this could be read.

Here's a problem I already had 95% of the solution to, but the solution, although uninvasive, would have altered the 'look'

The new solution is also uninvasive and actually easier and less time consuming.

The customer would have been happy for me to use 'no nails', evo stick, silicone or whatever and I'd like to ask this ...... be totally honest - who would have opted for that solution?

http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread.php?t=34223
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Re: The case for the defence!

Post by WelshFramer »

Probably need to secure particularly some way to ensure it doesn't warp. If it's been stored stacked against others for some years it might warp if held vertically with nothing to support it.
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, I think a reverse bevel sink mount, something like a frame bumper in the centre hole and the sleeve secured half over it, should prevent that.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

seriously? and honestly?
customer wants a brick stuck to mountboard?

ok. Honestly-
No, id make it look like it was stuck to mountboard, if that was what the customer wanted, cut a brick size aperture in a mount, no-more nails (or a better adhesive) glue the brick onto some 18mm mdf, and glue the mount onto that with the brick in the hole.

and, seriously, there are brick collectors, so maybe i'd want to be sure it wasn't an irrreplacable brick first. International brick collectors association: http://www.tlgwindpower.com/tweety/
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Read the Grumble link - I'm not talking about bricks - talking about records - not necc valuable but not easily replaceable either. Bricks were designed/intended to be stuck in place - records were not intended to be displayed at all, or used for construction.

I'll re-word the question then "If the customer does not give one - do you?"

I'll add another as well - would you actually be relieved if the customer did not give one - even if you knew the item had some value?

(Small print ....

a. questions directed at no-one in particular
b. not expecting to get trampled in the stampede of replies)
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

ahhh!
records. oops.
thats a different thing altogether.

no I would never stick down a vinyl record. (although i did do in the past, many years ago)

the closest they would get is a (custom size) frame made, so they could do a DIY bodge themselves, if they insisted on having it done "bodged".

and these days I would still raise the issue of protective glass if there were any remote possibility that the item might become collectible.

we sell record and memorabilia mounts and frames online, and i would probably steer them to one of those, because whilst they are not "conservation" they are reversible, no glue etc.

so if the customer doesn't give one, I still do, and if i can give them something done to best practice for the same price, then I'll do it as "right" as I know how. As pointed out, its usually easier than a "bodge" anyway, and if you are putting your sticker on the back...... well.

I'd be far from relieved if the customer said they would accept a bodge job but I'd lose no sleep if they took it down the road instead. But thinking sensibly about it, what customer would insist on a bodge when they could have it done right, unless price was an issue - in which case they couln't afford the bodge job either.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

kev@frames wrote: so if the customer doesn't give one, I still do, and if i can give them something done to best practice for the same price, then I'll do it as "right" as I know how. As pointed out, its usually easier than a "bodge" anyway, and if you are putting your sticker on the back...... well.
Fair brought a tear to my eye - beautiful (A-la Al Murray)
I'd be far from relieved if the customer said they would accept a bodge job but I'd lose no sleep if they took it down the road instead. But thinking sensibly about it, what customer would insist on a bodge when they could have it done right, unless price was an issue - in which case they couln't afford the bodge job either.
Not on about insisting on a bodge job, just about not caring - my customer, when I started explaining how I'd attach it so it could be removed, said I could just glue it down if I wanted.
framejunkie
Organisation: framejunkie
Interests: 6.9%APR; 21.3%APR

Post by framejunkie »

Roboframer wrote:"If the customer does not give one - do you?"
For me the short answer is that i will give on eeven if the customer doesn't - as has been said my name is on the back so i have to be happy. That said, the record job would severely tax my mounting abilities